What's new

[Thread-1] [ 386.1_Alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting. My QOS is working.

Edit: I compared the files on OneDrive to my compiled version. Same size for the AC68U and AC86U. Don't understand how they could be the same size and one omits two features. Stuffing?
Just relaying the info...
None of the user built firmware images will have working bwdpi (so, that means no Adaptive QoS, for instance), so I do not recommend people running these.

Interesting. My QOS is working.

Edit: I compared the files on OneDrive to my compiled version. Same size for the AC68U and AC86U. Don't understand how they could be the same size and one omits two features. Stuffing?

The size difference is negligible and not visible after the image gets compressed.

On the Alpha 2 code (running great BTW): Why does the Network Map show a different number of clients to what the Aimesh Topology shows?

Pic2.jpg
Pic1.jpg

FYI: Although I had the ethernet as the preferred connection to the three AiMesh nodes on 384.19 (RT-AX88U), I had to enable on this release level.
Pic3.jpg

On the Alpha 2 code (running great BTW): Why does the Network Map show a different number of clients to what the Aimesh Topology shows?

View attachment 27468View attachment 27469

FYI: Although I had the ethernet as the preferred connection to the three AiMesh nodes on 384.19 (RT-AX88U), I had to enable on this release level.
View attachment 27470
Do you have any Non-mesh accesspoints? if you do, they would not be included in the Aimesh topology

BTW, for those wanting to flash any of their Mesh Node's stock base firmware with non beta RT-AC68U official new firmware here is the link.
Code:
Version 3.0.0.4.386.40558 2020/11/0540.62 MBytes

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.40558
New Feature

1. AiMesh 2.0
- System optimization: one click in AiMesh to optimize the topology
- System Ethernet backhaul mode, all nodes will only connect by ethernet, all bands will be released for wireless clients.
- System factory default and reboot.
- Client device reconnect, make the device to offline and online again.
- Client device binding to specific AP.
- Guest WiFi on all Mesh nodes (all node need to upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386 firmware)
- Access nodes USB application.

Connection priority and Ethernet backhaul mode introduction
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044184

How to setup ASUS AiMesh or ZenWiFi Mesh Ethernet backhaul under different conditions
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1044151/

2. New Family interface in ASUS router App.
ASUS Router App for iOS must greater or equal to iOS v1.0.0.5.75
Android version greater or equal to v1.0.0.5.74

3. The unit of the WiFi time scheduler goes to 1 minute.

4. 2.4 and 5G on the network map could be configured in the same tab.

5. Captcha for login can be disabled in administration -> system.

6. Printer server port can be disabled on the USB app page.

7. Clients which connect to the guest network can be viewed in the network map -->view list --> interface

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 6d9ea61699a985645d83edf0b415476a
DOWNLOAD
SHOW MORE DESCRIPTION

These two Mesh Nodes say there is no connection to the Aimesh Router.
1604631678746.png

1604631758342.png

1604631781052.png

But I have them hard wire via ethernet, and they are fully functional based on my test. So, I am taking this as a fluke. Maybe a beta bug, they haven't worked out.

Network map didn't get populated properly on my AC86U (mesh router) & AC68U (mesh node) with wireless backhaul. Several devices didn't get listed, but network still works normal.

I saw a lot of kernel: AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF not mesh client, can't update it's ip on syslog.

Nov 6 07:29:53 rc_service: watchdog 1329:notify_rc start_dnsmasq
Nov 6 07:29:53 rc_service: waitting "restart_dnsmasq" via ...
Nov 6 07:30:08 rc_service: skip the event: start_dnsmasq.
Nov 6 07:30:38 rc_service: watchdog 1329:notify_rc start_dnsmasq
Nov 6 07:30:38 rc_service: waitting "restart_dnsmasq" via ...
Nov 6 07:30:53 rc_service: skip the event: start_dnsmasq.
Nov 6 07:31:18 rc_service: service 16955:notify_rc restart_dnsmasq
Nov 6 07:31:18 rc_service: waitting "restart_dnsmasq" via ...
Nov 6 07:31:23 rc_service: watchdog 1329:notify_rc start_dnsmasq
Nov 6 07:31:23 rc_service: waitting "restart_dnsmasq" via ...
Nov 6 07:31:34 rc_service: skip the event: restart_dnsmasq.
Nov 6 07:31:38 rc_service: skip the event: start_dnsmasq.

I get this with the new alphas when trying to restart dnsmasq (by script or manually) when addn-hosts=/opt/hosts.clean is added to dnsmasq.conf.add

Have you checked your region / country settings under WiFi Professional?

Even though your username betrays German-speaking origins, you might not be in Europe, or be aware of this setting. It controls which channels are allowed in your area.

I'm swiss and also bought the devices in stores here. I do not have any option to change the region. Checking the router and the nodes nvram, they all say region is EU or DE.

Update: According to this post the XT8 will only use channels 100-140 for the dedicated 5GHz backhaul... I guess I will have to stick with channel 100 then.

Last edited:
Using RT-AC5300 and install this firmware after clearing NVRAM, the client list in network map shows zero client.
Screen Shot 2020-11-06 at 7.29.03 pm.png

Everything is working good here, with a wired backhaul..

These two Mesh Nodes say there is no connection to the Aimesh Router.
View attachment 27473
View attachment 27474
View attachment 27475
But I have them hard wire via ethernet, and they are fully functional based on my test. So, I am taking this as a fluke. Maybe a beta bug, they haven't worked out.
I think it is a fluke too. I have the RT-AC3100 as well and I am getting the Ethernet uplink error/ On my RT-68 and AX-88, they are fine. So wondering if it's a bug/fluke with the 3100 model.

Using RT-AC5300 and install this firmware after clearing NVRAM, the client list in network map shows zero client.
View attachment 27478
I've seen this on my 86 unit but when I log out and back in it shows correctly. Does yours if you do that as well? I would be curious to know why your Wan IP is a private IP though.....Behind another unit possibly?

Reporting that the Asus 386.40558 worked well on my AC66U_b1 node with Merlin 386.1 alpha2 on the main router. Created a guest WIFI on 2.4 GHZ which I synced to the node successfully. Disappointing that you can create only one synced guest node per WIFI band. But one is better than nothing and now I can go forth with changes to the network at the not-for-profit office I manage. Thanks Eric and Asus!

Reporting that the Asus 386.40558 worked well on my AC66U_b1 node with Merlin 386.1 alpha2 on the main router. Created a guest WIFI on 2.4 GHZ which I synced to the node successfully. Disappointing that you can create only one synced guest node per WIFI band. But one is better than nothing and now I can go forth with changes to the network at the not-for-profit office I manage. Thanks Eric and Asus!
The biggest limitations of the node synced guest networking is if you have primary guest network on a separate addressing pool using a Yazfi or have your own independent configuration, then the addressing pool for the node guest networks is different from the one you created for your main guest network. (meaning the node guest networks do not share same address pool as the one you created on the main router). Instead you connect to whatever address pool the main router has setup for its own primary addressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!