What's new

Time is wrong.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TrebleTA

Hi all, so I was sure my setting on my ax82u was done, then today I noticed a issue, I set the time zone to london, uk see picture.
20221018_094707.jpg

Yet I now get a reminder the system time is different??
So went to check my routers time

20221018_094852.jpg

and it's now 1 hr out.
My time is at the top of the picture, so what have I done wrong?

So I've changed it but have a question, for the sunday in the uk, it's the last sunday in the month, so if I set it to the 5th sunday in the month, yet there is only 4 sundays in that month next year will it still trigger?

So I've changed it but have a question, for the sunday in the uk, it's the last sunday in the month, so if I set it to the 5th sunday in the month, yet there is only 4 sundays in that month next year will it still trigger?

The 5th Sunday in the month means the last Sunday in the month, whether this is the 4th or 5th.

For most regions I imagine that's what you would want.

HTH

This is an old error for the UK timezone that's been around for years. As mentioned above, the correct setting for both lines should be "5th", which means "last".

Hi all - new here so excuse the basic terminology, have very little experience in code and networking.

I had this exact issue this morning with my AX82U (based in the UK) - I woke up and was unable to connect to the internet. I noticed on the system log that the date was May 5 and that the system time had gone back to May 2018.

The system log kept giving me this on loop:
May 5 06:06:12 pppd[2782]: Connect: ppp0 <--> wan0
May 5 06:06:42 pppd[2782]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
May 5 06:06:42 pppd[2782]: Connection terminated.
May 5 06:06:42 pppd[2782]: Modem hangup

I tried changing the time zone and rebooting but the issue remained.

I was on the latest firmware (Version 3.0.0.4.386.49674) and I tried rolling it back to Version 3.0.0.4.386.49559. After several reboots and turning the router off for 30 minutes, I managed to get a connection on the older firmware but as soon as I upgraded to the current version it went back to May 2018 again.

A factory reset appears to have done the trick but my basic config now looks the same after changing it from Greenwich Mean Time to Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London.

Screenshot 2022-10-18 130056.jpg

So just to confirm, I need to change 'DST time zone changes starts' from 4th Sunday to 5th Sunday?

So just to confirm, I need to change 'DST time zone changes starts' from 4th Sunday to 5th Sunday?
Technically, it should be "5th" which actually means "last". In reality it won't make any difference in 2023, but will in 2024 which has 5 Sundays in March. That's assuming they haven't abolished DST by then.

Thanks - I'll get that changed.

Any idea why the router's system time would suddenly go all the way back to May 2018 overnight? I've got the system log if that helps but it makes absolutely no sense to me!

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    346.7 KB · Views: 46
As Colin said, 5th is correct.

@ TeddySlugworth (post #8) - When the router reboots, it shows a time which is in the past. This is why it was displaying 5 May.

As soon as it is able to connect to the Internet, it queries the time server (pool.ntp.org or uk.pool.ntp.org in this case) to find the correct time, and resets its internet clock. From this moment on, the entries in the log file show the correct time.

If the date / time still showed 5 May a few minutes after the router started, it means that

EITHER
1-It could not connect to the Internet

OR
2-It could connect to the Internet, but not to the time server (pool.ntp.org or uk.pool.ntp.org in this case).

As you couldn't connect to the internet at all, it's probably the first of these two possibilities.

Why the router lost its connection to the internet, and why it then restarted is a different question. But if it now works without problem, then all is good for the moment.

Thanks for your reply @PolarBear - yeah, I should've said, I actually tried a different NTP server but was still unable to connect.

It just wouldn't budge from May 5 after each time the router was restarted until I rolled the firmware back.

I contacted my ISP who said there were no issues. Contacted ASUS tech support who advised me to do a factory reset after I went through the steps I'd already taken, which I've mentioned above. Is it even worth me sending the system logs to them?

No issues after the factory reset (nearly three hours ago now) so it's all good, but I'd love to know what caused it and whether I could've fixed without a factory reset. I've attached the system log if it helps.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    346.7 KB · Views: 48
The problem seems to have started
Oct 17 20:32:34 when the xDSL link went down. It came back up, but went down again at 20:49:37.

Something similar happened already on Oct 3.

Oct 18 00:18:22 a series of messages started to say the modem had hung up, and at 01:26:04 the router restarted. Maybe it just got overloaded with all the error messages. Thereafter, the router could not re-establish connection to the internet until the end of the log file.

Why this happened is not clear. It's not unknown for ISPs to deny until they are blue in the face that nothing is wrong on there side (not saying that is the case here - we just don't know).

But if it works now, all well and good.

Thanks again for explaining @PolarBear - apologies for hijacking the thread a bit!

I've changed the basic config so it now looks like this, that all looks correct?

Screenshot 2022-10-18 144540.jpg

I noticed on the second line in my post #8 it had 2 hours selected instead of 1, which I assume was incorrect as well?

Hi thanks for the replys, I now have it set as in picture.
Screenshot_20221018-193244_Chrome.jpg

In the UK in march from googling it's at 1am yet in October its 2am.
As for the other, I'm with sky so have set mine to skys NTP.
But for your router to revert to that time it must of rebooted.
P.s after going back to a older firmware, should do a hard factory reset.

i don't understand why we have to set the day it has to change when we have a ntp server.
Doesn't the router be sync with the ntp ? So when time change, it changes too.

i don't understand why we have to set the day it has to change when we have a ntp server.
Doesn't the router be sync with the ntp ? So when time change, it changes too.
NTP time has nothing to do with local time zones or DST rules. They are two different things.

Right, NTP synchronizes to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) which is the same everywhere. So minutes and seconds would be correct (unless local time is half hour adjusted like India). It is then up to the operating system to be configured for proper adjustment to local time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!