What's new

Flashed wrong firmware now stuck

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLibertyCoder

New Around Here
I had an issue with my RT-AX86U router and in an attempt to fix it I tried to flash the merlin firmware. But unfortunately, like an idiot, I accidentally flashed the firmware for the AX68U instead of the AX86U. I now cannot log into the admin panel. I tried every combination of the username and password that I could find. When that didn't work I tried to reset. Pressing the reset button doesn't do anything (doesn't seem to recognize it). Using the WPS reset method also does nothing and I am also not able to get into rescue mode (it doesn't respond at all to the process). So I cannot get in to the GUI and cannot reset. The internet does actually work so it doesn't seem totally f'd, but I cannot change anything. Any help would be appreciated as I have done everything I can find to fix it. Thank you.

Welcome to the forums @TheLibertyCoder.

How did you flash the wrong firmware? That isn't normally possible.

Keep trying to get it into rescue mode. It is very picky about timing there.

Welcome to the forums @TheLibertyCoder.

How did you flash the wrong firmware? That isn't normally possible.

Keep trying to get it into rescue mode. It is very picky about timing there.
I flashed it using the rescue tool. I've tried the rescue mode many times now and nothing. It's as if it doesn't recognize the reset button at all. Pressing it in any fashion has not effect on the lights. I have even tried entering rescue mode while running the rescue tool to see if I could jump start it. No luck

It was clear what you flashed it with. GUI flash has firmware verification and won't allow wrong firmware. Why did you use the Firmware Restoration tool is unknown. This mistake will cost you a new router.

It was clear what you flashed it with. GUI flash has firmware verification and won't allow wrong firmware. Why did you use the Firmware Restoration tool is unknown. This mistake will cost you a new router.
Obviously I messed up. Why the attitude? And I was asked how I was able to flash the wrong firmware, so I answered. I used that tool because the GUI would not update any firmware (originally I used the factory firmware). I then went to do the rescue tool with the factory firmware but the website was glitchy and would not let me get to the firmware page.

As far as it costing me a new router, I disagree. It didn't work before I started messing with it and still doesn't work. So either way if it is stuck I'm buying a new router. My mistake cost me GAINING a working router. Such is life.

All I can suggest now is to leave the power on, unplug the power cord from both the router and the AC wall plug and leave it for a day or two. You may still get into rescue mode...

You can also see if a new power supply might work too (it just may be a coincidence that the PS went south right as you were experimenting).

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

The RT-AX86U won't be getting the expected 3.0.0.6.xxx firmware in a few months, I suggest considering the better-balanced (hardware) GT-AX6000 instead if you are going for a new router today.

Obviously I messed up. Why the attitude? And I was asked how I was able to flash the wrong firmware, so I answered. I used that tool because the GUI would not update any firmware (originally I used the factory firmware). I then went to do the rescue tool with the factory firmware but the website was glitchy and would not let me get to the firmware page.

As far as it costing me a new router, I disagree. It didn't work before I started messing with it and still doesn't work. So either way if it is stuck I'm buying a new router. My mistake cost me GAINING a working router. Such is life.

As @L&LD said keep trying rescue mode, can't hurt, but my guess is your bootloader has been replaced with the wrong one so it can't even get to that point. If it wasn't working before, it may even just be that this was the last nail in the coffin. But as he said the timing is very picky and sometimes it doesn't even match what their site says.

Unless you want to get into building a JTAG/serial cable and tearing the router apart and attempting to recover it through a fairly convoluted process (which may or may not work).

Was the GUI not working and internet working before? That's an odd combo but not terribly surprising. Did you happen to have SSH enabled - maybe try getting in that way? I didn't notice you mentioned that, so it seems it is getting past the bootloader. I wonder if there are different instructions for rescue mode on the 68U - maybe try those - who knows what they call WPS button may be reset or wifi button on your 86 or something.

Why the attitude?

No attitude. I'm telling you what you need after what you did and after the description what you have tried. There are other not user friendly options, but if the router was faulty to begin with - waste of time. As a hint - the bootloader is intact. If you know what this means you know that to try next.

Pressing the reset button doesn't do anything (doesn't seem to recognize it). Using the WPS reset method also does nothing and I am also not able to get into rescue mode (it doesn't respond at all to the process).

Rescue mode should work, as this runs out of the CFE bootloader - so the challenge is getting the device into boot recovery in the first place...

It's odd that you were able to flash different firmware into the router - shouldn't be able to, but I'll accept that for whatever reason...

unless you touched CFE in some way, and I can't imagine how as in newer models, it's write protected - it should almost be unbrickable at the end of the day.

Anyways - follow the steps in the Asus link above - be patient and take your time...

Worst case - contact support and get an RMA for repair...

Comments like this are also not helpful and DO come across as unfriendly.

I can't recommend opening the router to everyone when there is no hint of intentions to do so. I can only proceed further if the user is comfortable with this approach. It is destructive and prevents eventual RMA process and professional repair. Most repair shops will refuse work on attempted repairs.

This is the reality with no sugar coating.

Anyways - follow the steps in the Asus link above

This won't work. The last non-destructive option is what @drinkingbird says above - try all the buttons and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!