What's new

Time to upgrade ancient router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dfresh4130

New Around Here
I just changed my ISP to Surewest from AT&T Uverse as Surewest is running fiber straight to the home. So now I've got 8Mbps up and down. I pulled out my ancient Linksys WRT54G v5.0 to get me up and running. Now, I've found that this router is too slow to handle what I need to do.

I've got a remote windows laptop at work I use putty to SSH into my home linux box and create a tunnel to have firefox from the windows laptop use as a SOCKS proxy. The page load times when using the proxy over SSH tunnel are atrocious. It takes yahoo.com over a minute to load. I never had this problem with my slower AT&T Uverse service which only had 768K upload speeds. So the only differences in this setup now are my home router and ISP. I'm guessing the router hardware in the AT&T equipment was a lot beefier compared to this old Linksys.

I've been looking around for a decent home router under $100. My home network only uses 100Mbps ethernet and 802.11g, but I could possibly see upgrading to an N based adapter in the future. Also stream netflix and other online video sources now as I killed cable tv. I also would like to start toying around with streaming some movies from my linux box over the internet to my remote laptop since I've got nice upload speeds now. Seems the performance graph lists the Asus RT-N13U as a good value router. I've had bad experience with Asus products in the past so am hesitant to try their brand again. Does anyone recommend another router over the Asus? A built in USB port for NAS is a nice feature, but not required too. I'd also prefer the router to be compatible with DD-WRT too in case I decide to go that route. Thanks