What's new

[TM-AC1900] Upgrading from 376.49 to anything else

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tadow

Occasional Visitor
I've been quite remiss in maintaining newer f/w on this router, and when I tried recently to go to 380, it failed. I did some digging and found out that I needed to get to 378.55 first for a new flash layout? But that also fails with the same error:

"Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. It may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again".

I didn't see anything useful in the system logs and I've also rebooted my router first (and I have no USB devices attached).

My NVRAM was already expanded to 64M which I read is a pre-req for earlier versions of 376.

So everyone, how can I get to 378.55 and then up to 380?

Re-Download the zip file, making sure you select the correct version and model (RT-AC68U).
Unzip and upload the *.trx file.

Before doing that, unplug router, unplug any USB devices you may have plugged in, wait a minute or two and boot it up.
Then do the update.
Remember, you have to do a factory default reset after every update step.

Re-Download the zip file, making sure you select the correct version and model (RT-AC68U).
Unzip and upload the *.trx file.

Before doing that, unplug router, unplug any USB devices you may have plugged in, wait a minute or two and boot it up.
Then do the update.
Remember, you have to do a factory default reset after every update step.

I have the right files, but will re-download and validate checksums. No USB devices.

Do I need to do a factory reset before upgrading? I was concerned that I would end up back with TMO firmware on here if I did a reset.

I have the right files, but will re-download and validate checksums. No USB devices.

Do I need to do a factory reset before upgrading? I was concerned that I would end up back with TMO firmware on here if I did a reset.
Only after the update is a reset required. The reason being that the version gap is too big.

Okay, SHAs validated after re-download. Router power cycled. Still no luck. I found an older 378 release at the main D/L site, it also fails.

Other ideas?

I woud try via recovery console (CFE miniWebserver).
Be aware this resets your router.
Follow here how to get into recovery mode.
You can then upload the *55 firmware version.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/

Okay I got to 378.55 using the recovery mode. Cannot flash the latest 380, I think there's another intermediate F/W I need. 380 gets to about 30% and fails using the recovery mechanism.

Okay I got to 378.55 using the recovery mode. Cannot flash the latest 380, I think there's another intermediate F/W I need. 380 gets to about 30% and fails using the recovery mechanism.
You should continue with the regular update through the WebUI now. Try smaller steps perhaps?
Altough something seems fishy here.

WebUI updates still don't work, I assume due to the f/w validation changes in the 380 series is the issue?

The other annoying behavior is that although I believe recovery mode still works with 378.55, the power LED no longer flashes like it used to.

Do you know if there's a specific 380 version I need first before going to the latest?

Did you ever go through the process of updating the CFE (you would know if you did it)? Some of the very first TM-1900's would allow a Merlin update to 376 without the CFE update and would ultimately result in what you are seeing.

I'm fairly sure that I did. I followed a pretty long and involved process from slickdeals that involved many steps, although it's been several years and many bourbons since.

Also, I am now on 378.55, so I did for sure get past 376.

I'm fairly sure that I did. I followed a pretty long and involved process from slickdeals that involved many steps, although it's been several years and many bourbons since.

Also, I am now on 378.55, so I did for sure get past 376.
It sounds like you did....but to double check, what's the CFE Bootloader level on the Tools>Sysinfo page?

Firmware is 378.55
CFE is 2.1.2.5
That's a TM-1900 CFE...It won't let you load any Merlin code, only TM-1900. My guess is that your original pass at the CFE update didn't 'take'.....when you loaded 378.55 it updated the CFE to the later TM-1900 CFE and now has you locked. Sorry, but time to revisit the slickdeals instructions (going to be harder now with the state you are in).

I had basically come to the same conclusion. Thats why the reset button no longer works properly. I can get CFE to wait but not long enough to flash anything. I am going back to the slickdeals directions and will update progress later. Thanks

Okay I have my CFE back on 1.0.2.0...

But still can't upgrade to a 380 series... I wonder if this is the different signature verification stuff?

Okay I have my CFE back on 1.0.2.0...

But still can't upgrade to a 380 series... I wonder if this is the different signature verification stuff?
No, the verification check is backwards only.

If you are now back on a 376 level with a 1.0.2.x CFE, you need to use the 378.55 step (it should leave the CFE alone now), then go to 380.

I'm on 378.55 and have been for a bit here. I managed to get CFE up to 1.0.2.0 too. As for 380, I've been unable to flash it.

I've tried doing it from recovery mode using the tool and using TFTP. Once the router comes back up it still says 378.55 (but at least the CFE is right!)

Are there logs anywhere that I could look?

IT WORKS!

Here's what I did. I had to upgrade to the absolute last in the 378 series, which was 378.56.2. Now I'm on 380. Perhaps 378.55 had some weird issue. Thanks for the help with making me realize I had a CFE issue.

Edit: For anyone who runs into this, from 378.55->378.56.2 it worked just fine in the web GUI.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you got it!
Mystery about 378.55, that's been the standard step level for a long time.