What's new

TP-Link EAP225v3 AC1350 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Ceiling Mount Access Point Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
tplink_eap225v3_product.jpg
The new version of TP-Link's inexpensive AC access point has a lot to like.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

Hardware design looks better, though still electrolytics.

Bandsteering but no auto-channel management? And strange still no DFS.

Do these APs support tagged management VLAN? If so, that's a convenient advantage over Ubiquiti Unifi APs, who only support untagged.

Last edited:
I believe in the cons summary it states there are no bandwidth controls for clients, if you install the omada software (im assume it uses the same as EAP245 which i am using) on a pc then you have the option to do this for clients and each access point.
https://www.tp-link.com/ae/faq-914.html I can confirm it works as expected.

when will the omada cloud controller be released. Its a needed feature to remotely monitor and see the usage and clients connected.

Is there any upper limit on this AP say 100 /200 etc?

The review states that you installed 2.2 FW. Latest I see is 2.1 dated 2018-04-12. Am I missing something?

"Do these APs support tagged management VLAN? If so, that's a convenient advantage over Ubiquiti Unifi APs, who only support untagged."

Yes. Tagged mgmt VLAN, set to anything 1-4094

Hardware design looks better, though still electrolytics.

Bandsteering but no auto-channel management? And strange still no DFS.

Do these APs support tagged management VLAN? If so, that's a convenient advantage over Ubiquiti Unifi APs, who only support untagged.

With the 5.8 branch of the Unifi controller (just came out with a stable release candidate) and the latest firmware, Unifi APs finally support a management VLAN.

I have this ap, and I see a lot of tx errors on the 5g band but the 2g seems fine. Has anyone else noticed this issue? Also are those errors represented in bytes or packets?

I have installed acrylic WiFi and choose the best channel in my area. I do have other channels broadcasting in that range but not that strong.

Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 of those at home and I just checked my stats; I'm seeing the same thing as you. Not sure what to adjust.

upload_2018-6-27_9-50-49.png

I have this ap, and I see a lot of tx errors on the 5g band but the 2g seems fine. Has anyone else noticed this issue? Also are those errors represented in bytes or packets?

I have installed acrylic WiFi and choose the best channel in my area. I do have other channels broadcasting in that range but not that strong.

Any help is appreciated.

I have had the indoor & ourdoor version of these AP's for 4 months now - was working great via the OMADA Controller utility.
Then I switched routers from a flashed TMO 68U to an Asus RT-86U & now I can't get the controller nor the separate discovery utility to find & adopt these AP's.

Can only configure them via the web UI directly into their IP addresses.
Any ideas?

I just rebooted one of my access points, which cleared the stats. With no device connected to 5gHz I show similar errors on the 5gHz service. Makes me think this might be a meaningless stat.

Thanks for confirming, I have reached out to TP-Link and they say they are not able to reproduce it in their labs. I think the device does have an issue, should have gone with the unifi line.

How are folks finding these new AP's roam when using multiples? Was looking to have one on my main floor, one on my upper floor, and one outside in a cabana.

I remember reading somewhere that the Unifi ceiling mounted APs have an antenna design so that it can only be used by devices below the AP, and not devices above - on the floor above the AP. Is this similar? I'm trying to determine if I should mount this AP on the ceiling of the 2nd floor in my house and have it cover both 1st and 2nd floors or would it be more optimal to mount it on the ceiling of the first floor?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!