What's new

Trying to connect Virgin Media Hub (modem mode) to Edimax dual wan router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ian Manning

Occasional Visitor
I want to use my Virgin Media Hub 3.0 in modem mode, connected to an Edimax dual wan router, but I can't get the Edimax router to connect to the Virgin modem correctly. The Edimax router can spot that the Virgin Hub is physically connected, but is not getting an internet connection from it.
Could anyone tell me what I need to specify for the following WAN settings on the Edimax router:

Connect mode: Disabled/Enabled
Connect type: Dynamic IP/Static IP/PPoE
PPTP Connection: Enabled/Disabled

PPTP Dialup:
PPTP Server IP address:?
User name:?
Password:?

The Virgin Hub in modem mode is just a simple Ethernet connection. Therefore your router should be configured for "Dynamic IP". No PPoE, PPTP or anything like that.

Remember that your router must be connected to the Hub's LAN port 1 only.

What is the model number of your Edimax router? Is it actually dual-WAN, or dual-band? The reason I ask is I can only find references to some very old, low spec, dual-WAN routers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. It is indeed an old, low spec, dual-WAN router!
I discovered that the problem was with the Virgin hub - after half an hour on the phone to Virgin support they finally suggested a hardware reset of the Hub and it fixed the problem.
Incidentally the router is connected to LAN port 4 on the Virgin hub (i.e. the one nearest the coax cable). I remember hearing somewhere that only one LAN port is active when the Hub is put into modem mode. I guess it's port 4??

Incidentally the router is connected to LAN port 4 on the Virgin hub (i.e. the one nearest the coax cable). I remember hearing somewhere that only one LAN port is active when the Hub is put into modem mode. I guess it's port 4??
Looks like I'm mistaken. I definitely remember that being the case with the old SuperHub's, but according to posts on the VM forum, with the Hub 3.0 you can use any port.