What's new

Two questions about the RTAC66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Special K

New Around Here
I am looking to upgrade my WRT54GL because it just can't keep up with my new 100Mbps/10Mbps connection. I don't need a top of the line model, but don't want to buy something that's too dated either.

After reading reviews here, I have narrowed it down to either the Asus RTN66U or the Asus RTAC66U. I also read about the RTAC68U, but unless the RTAC66U is a bad choice due to the two factors I mention below or something else I'm not aware of, I'd rather stick to the RTAC66U due to price. I doubt I will need the extra features of the AC68U over the AC66U, so it doesn't seem to be worth $50 more to me.

I read the SNB review of the Asus RTAC66U here:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-band-wireless-ac1750-gigabit-router-reviewed

and noticed a couple things:

1. The router isn't Wifi Alliance Certified
2. The router is based on a draft AC spec, not the final one

Given that the router was released and reviewed in August 2012, here are my questions:

1. The original iteration of the router was based on the draft AC spec. If I buy a brand new RTAC66U today, will it still be based on the draft AC spec or will it be based on the final AC spec due to hardware improvements and/or firmware updates since the original iteration was released?

2. I see that the RTAC66U still isn't Wifi Alliance certified:

https://www.wi-fi.org/product-finder

Should I even be concerned with Wifi Alliance certification at this point, especially considering the router has been around for a few years now and has received fairly positive reviews overall?

[...] I also read about the RTAC68U, but unless the RTAC66U is a bad choice due to the two factors I mention below or something else I'm not aware of, I'd rather stick to the RTAC66U due to price. I doubt I will need the extra features of the AC68U over the AC66U, so it doesn't seem to be worth $50 more to me.
[...]

It depends on your time perspective...

The 68u is a new architecture, is a 2 core CPU, processes ext4 format, has 1 usb3 port. With the ac66u, ASUS did as much as he can, and the new platform seems to be the ac56u, 68u, 87u. You want the end of the line, or the beginning of the line ?

I am looking to upgrade my WRT54GL because it just can't keep up with my new 100Mbps/10Mbps connection. I don't need a top of the line model, but don't want to buy something that's too dated either.

After reading reviews here, I have narrowed it down to either the Asus RTN66U or the Asus RTAC66U. I also read about the RTAC68U, but unless the RTAC66U is a bad choice due to the two factors I mention below or something else I'm not aware of, I'd rather stick to the RTAC66U due to price. I doubt I will need the extra features of the AC68U over the AC66U, so it doesn't seem to be worth $50 more to me.

I read the SNB review of the Asus RTAC66U here:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-band-wireless-ac1750-gigabit-router-reviewed

and noticed a couple things:

1. The router isn't Wifi Alliance Certified
2. The router is based on a draft AC spec, not the final one

Given that the router was released and reviewed in August 2012, here are my questions:

1. The original iteration of the router was based on the draft AC spec. If I buy a brand new RTAC66U today, will it still be based on the draft AC spec or will it be based on the final AC spec due to hardware improvements and/or firmware updates since the original iteration was released?

2. I see that the RTAC66U still isn't Wifi Alliance certified:

https://www.wi-fi.org/product-finder

Should I even be concerned with Wifi Alliance certification at this point, especially considering the router has been around for a few years now and has received fairly positive reviews overall?

1. 802.11ac "draft" specs can include features that were included by a manufacturer prior to the standard being finalized, and in this instance dealt with the timing of the release of the AC66U initially (i.e., before the standard was finalized). I'm not aware of any particular specs or features that are specifically included in the 66U that aren't also found in the standards for "Wave 1" devices. And besides, even when standards are set by the IEEE802.11 working group, there will still be amendments that get applied (for example there's an 802.11mc working group that is doing a "rollup" of a number of 802.11 protocols and standards, including 802.11-2012 + aa, ac, ad, ae & af that is supposed to be published as 802.11-2015 (sometime in or around December 2015). So in this sense, even 802.11ac isn't "fully baked" yet.

In short, given the extensive work that Asus and people like Merlin have done with the firmware for the AC66U, I would be very surprised if there was anything "missing" from what one would find in a device today that conforms to the 802.11ac standard.

By the same token, you can buy an AC87U, which includes some features that are described as "Wave 2" (e.g., MU-MIMO) that you still can't use today (and might not be able to use for a long time, such as 4x4 streams, since there aren't even any 4x4 clients available). So the 87U certainly conforms to the "standard" but does that make it "better" because it also offers additional features that can't yet be used? Or is it just a bit more marketing hype to go along with WiFi Certification (and I don't know whether the 87U is certified, but assume it is). In any event, I'll let you answer that one.

2. In terms of "WiFi Certified" that's pretty much inconsequential in my book, because it's supposed to insure "interoperability" with other WiFi Certified devices, and as far as I know, there aren't any other such wifi devices that don't behave well with the AC66U (which is also built mostly on the N66U architecture). It's a little like not having a Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval, or an appliance that lacks UL Certified (well, that can be important for fire-safety...but you get the point). Having these certifications doesn't mean it will perform well, just that it meets a minimum standard and it's been submitted by the manufacturer for certification (and in some instances additional fees are paid to secure certification). Nice to have, but in the real world, not always terribly important. As far as I know, the WiFi Certification standards for "Wave 1" AC devices have all been met by the AC66U.

In short, I wouldn't be bothered by either one of these "issues"....to me they are non-issues, given the extensive history and track record of the AC66U and how reliable it has proven to be in the field.

Last edited:

Thank you for a bit of a more extensive opinion. I am too considering this to upgrade my N66U to ac, basically this certification thing and the fact that it's from the first wave was the big question. I don't have a big budget anyway, and this is also quite expensive as it is. Other brands lack sooo many features in their firmwares, and I'm not talking about vpn and aicloud. :p