What's new

Unable to downgrade firmware on GT-AX6000s - I'm at my wits end.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Despite the "Auto upgrade button" on both spiders definitely being set to "Off", I did just notice the following in the boot logs - however my first assumption is it's just the 'check' where you get that annoying, beeping icon indicating a new FW is available. But if not, then pls let me know, so I can let ASUS know they've got a significant bug to fix in the next release:

Code:
May 14 11:11:58 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7736)]periodic_check AM 3:2
May 14 11:11:58 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7780)]do webs_update
May 14 11:12:06 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7798)]retrieve firmware information
May 14 11:12:06 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7813)]fimrware update check first time
May 14 11:12:06 WATCHDOG: [FAUPGRADE][auto_firmware_check:(7844)]no need to upgrade firmware

This check for new firmware process is always there and it triggers the notification, but proceeding with firmware update with auto firmware update disabled is unusual. The same behavior was reported with another model though. Seems like Asus pushes updates regardless if they need to. There was a firmware release with firewall bug exposing internal network devices to Internet with specific settings so no wonder this is needed and used.

This check for new firmware process is always there and it triggers the notification, but proceeding with firmware update with auto firmware update disabled is unusual. The same behavior was reported with another model though. Seems like Asus pushes updates regardless if they need to. There was a firmware release with firewall bug exposing internal network devices to Internet with specific settings so no wonder this is needed and used.
...except maybe ASUS ought to consider whether or not the unit is being used in router mode vs just AP before pulling any crap like that. I could see it justified (sorta) for the former. I'm currently being very entertained watching my signal strength go up and down by the minute.

Since most things in Asuswrt circle around Ai - it may have determined you are not nerdy enough (based on ROG Gaming RGB etc. routers used as simple APs) and you definitely need firmware update assistance, no matter Auto Update enabled or disabled. ;)

Since most things in Asuswrt circle around Ai - it may have determined you are not nerdy enough (based on ROG Gaming RGB etc. routers used as simple APs) and you definitely need firmware update assistance, no matter Auto Update enabled or disabled. ;)
That's right. The engineers at ASUS must be offended by anyone not running the latest FW they worked so hard on, and assume anyone downgrading must be a technical/security idiot, so dummy-proofing is justified.

I don't know what engineers at Asus are doing, but I have one Asus router used as VPN exit point in another country and after the last update it locked up with about 10 days uptime. I had to call someone to reboot it and downgraded the firmware to what was working well two releases back. Similar to your quest for good firmware situation. With one of the older versions firmware it run for 5-6 months. It was my mistake to update it though, it didn't self update. I'm not touching it again. If it self updates - recycling bin when I get there in the summer. I have a better VPN device now.

I don't know what engineers at Asus are doing, but I have one Asus router used as VPN exit point in another country and after the last update it locked up with about 10 days uptime. I had to call someone to reboot it and downgraded the firmware to what was working well two releases back. Similar to your quest for good firmware situation. With one of the older versions firmware it run for 5-6 months. It was my mistake to update it though, it didn't self update. I'm not touching it again. If it self updates - recycling bin when I get there in the summer. I have a better VPN device now.
In the past 7 days in an effort to get to where I can sell the 6000s, I've ordered 2 x RT-AXE7800s and another 2-pack of ET8s - all of which got boxed back up and returned w/in 24hrs. The 7800s because all bands are locked on wifi 6 w/ no option to disable making these a non-starter for 2.4 IoT (making them viable for the just the 2 phones with 6E radios) devices and the ET8s cuz one was in a bootloop after attempts to configure it in AP vs AiMesh mode. If ASUS engineering is now locking the 2nd and 3rd ZEN multipack units in AiMesh mode - as much as I like ASUS vs all other 'con'sumer brands, I'll be forced to move on to the low-end enterprise AP hardware.

When you need proper tools get DeWalt or Milwaukee. You're buying Ryobi and Black & Decker on sale.

When you need proper tools get DeWalt or Milwaukee. You're buying Ryobi and Black & Decker on sale.
Hey I still use my Craftman socket set I got as a teenager.

For shirts and grins I'm trying out the RAID(R) experiment - Redundant Array of Inexpensive 6E Routers. Given that we're right next to a class bravo airport and its 24/7 approach/departure radar, it makes more sense for us to use the 6G band now, but don't want to spend more than ~$150usd for any 6E nodes since they'll be replaced with wifi 7 nodes when available. I realize the ET8 is pretty much a cracker jack prize, but the 6G speeds w/in about 10 feet do reach almost 2G. Given you need one every 10 feet or so it makes no sense to pay for ET12 or AXE11000 APs. We can also use all the 2.4g nodes to saturate that band since we are in a wifi neighbor war and my wife won't let me use aluminum foil for wallpaper.

My house is on the fly path to Pearson International with >1200 flights daily. I use 5GHz band in non-DFS range with no issues. I have 4x Ruckus Wi-Fi 5 access points and they reach about 520Mbps. I also have downtown apartment with multiple networks around and also use 5GHz band with no issues. Synology Wi-Fi 5 router there is sending 300-400Mbps over Wi-Fi almost guaranteed. What needs guaranteed speed at all times is wired. What needs Wi-Fi is happy with what comes over the air. I don't run speed tests often and I don't need to. Phones/tablets don't need Gigabit speeds. Laptops don't send/receive GBs of data all the time. When they do it may take 1-2min longer. Seems to me your "need" to upgrade is created mostly by you.

Seems to me your "need" to upgrade is created mostly by you.
You're absolutely right.
Sure I could buy and install "good enough" or even high-end networking hardware that'll suffice and be done with it, but why do some guys constantly work on their cars trying every modification that will push the speed envelop another MPH or so? I'm the same way with networking gear in terms of the challenge of gaining few extra mbits while spending as little as possible - mostly just for the challenge and fun. I'm now even getting into seeing what I can do with only second hand equipment, so none of the ET8s are new, and I even have a used Dell Optiplex on the way to replace that OPNsense micro box so I can tinker with totally unnecessary IDS/IPS systems.

Being out of the networking biz professionally for many years now, and having just concluded my 3rd career in web stack engineering with absolute Javascript burnout, network speed tinkering is merely a hobby where I do do things I would have never done as a professional.

Being a Porsche owner

Got it. I have one access point from the same manufacturer. A set of new tires is around 30x GT-AX6000 routers on sale price.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!