What's new

Upgrading from N66U to AC86U a good move?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

aris

Occasional Visitor
Yeah, i've had this little router for a long long time. It has paid for itself - and is still going strong but I have an itch for an upgrade. It is no longer supported by the latest Merlin updates, and it has a tendency to stop accepting new connections requiring a reboot. Not the end of the world, but perhaps it is time to move to something new!

I don't want to spend silly money on a router - i've seen the AC86U at a somewhat acceptable price on Amazon - is this the right way to go, or would I be better off going for an AX88U which is DOUBLE the price. Is there something in between which I could spend a little bit more money on and get better value?

I'm pretty happy with ASUS - and in particular Merlin. It has served me well. usage is 100mb broadband (possibly going to 200+ in the future), and lots of IOT and personal devices connected.

If I don't go the ASUS/Merlin route - I was considering an investment in a PF-Sense setup with Ubiquity access points - but this may be overkill and would be costly.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

The 86U will serve you just fine. I have 350mbps fibre and run all sorts on mine with no issues.
Save upgrading to the X range for another few years when the clients that can take advantage are more widespread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The RT-AC86U is an excellent router, but you may want to consider the RT-AC66U_B1 model too. Usually can be found for much less cost and is a great upgrade over the RT-N66U.

This is basically the RT-AC68U with upgraded hardware and actually runs the same RMerlin firmware too.

While the RT-AC86U is superior in range and throughput, the '_B1 may be the better buy right now if you're thinking to upgrade again in a year or less. The September or October timeframe is when WiFi 6 specifications will become official (if they aren't pushed to a later date again), and shortly afterward may be the time to upgrade to that standard then.

With either choice, RMerlin 384.15 Beta 1 is considered stable for many and with the built-in amtm Entware and script support, it will open up the choices of how you want your network to behave with security and performance in mind. :)

I am seeing the RT-AC66U_B1 for half the cost of the RT-AC86U when both are not on sale. That would go a long way towards being on the WiFi 6 standards sooner while also giving you a nice upgrade to the stability and the performance of your network today. :)

I upgraded from my 8 yr old n66u that was acting up to an ac86u last year. For the most part it's been solid on Merlin. You cant go wrong with the other choices mentioned either.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!