What's new

Upgrading home network (Router+Wifi) what to buy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tcviper

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

We have a pretty big house with a guesthouse (located about 75mtrs away from the main house). Right now Im running a RV320 Cisco SMB router connected to our Cable modem on 200mbit with one Cisco WAP561 access point in the main house and one WAP561 in the guesthouse all connected with gigabit LAN.

Im not very satisfied with the RV320 or the WAP561's. The Access points for example always seem to have problems with Airplay devices and loosing connection or just dropping here and there. The Router itself sometimes has problems with the amount of data we are sending through it, it seems and sometimes just doesnt refresh DHCP clients correctly or takes ages to give out new ip's.

We have about 50 LAN devices and about 30 Wifi devices floating around, hosting a Synology NAS, Mac Mini server and more on our network (all connected to a centralised Cisco SG300 switch 28-port).

So... Im looking into refreshing the router and the access points and have been thinking on either going for Ubiquiti stuff (Edgerouter PRO and Unifi Pro points) or something else. What is your opinion on this and what would you advice?

The wireless problem could be you need more than one AP in the main house, especially if it is multi-level.

EdgeRouters are fast and stable, but configuration beyond the basics is a challenge.

I use a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite with Unifi AP's at my house. I am extremely happy with Ubiquiti gear. I have had no problems. In fact I purchased the Unify AP first and have not rebooted it yet (about 10 months). Very stable. I don't know your level of networking knowledge. The equipment you currently have suggest you have some level of IT expertise. If this is true and you don't mind digging a little to find answers I say go with an Edgerouter. With the latest software you can set up firewall, port forwarding, NAT, routes, DNS, DHCP and quite a few other things from the GUI. Some advanced stuff you will have to do in the CLI. Even with the CLI you can usually find an example in the Ubiquiti knowledgebase or you can ask a question on their forum and it is answered pretty quickly.