What's new

User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility (R26.2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to think about this one a bit....offhand I can't think of a place it would be required to override a default value to empty other than for cosmetic reasons.
If you haven't noticed by now, I am a beautician in training when it comes to the cosmetic side :)

@john9527

I am using the current nvram save / restore utility R24a on a new RT-AC3100 and have noticed in the files that get created that the last 4 digits are all zeros. When I run on my other routers 87 / 68 / 66 I get the last 4 of the MAC address as expected.

I checked nvram wan0_hwaddr and it is populated with the MAC address of the 3100.

It is not a problem for me because it is the only device, I just wanted to point it out.

@john9527

I am using the current nvram save / restore utility R24a on a new RT-AC3100 and have noticed in the files that get created that the last 4 digits are all zeros. When I run on my other routers 87 / 68 / 66 I get the last 4 of the MAC address as expected.

I checked nvram wan0_hwaddr and it is populated with the MAC address of the 3100.

It is not a problem for me because it is the only device, I just wanted to point it out.
My RT-3100 has the "0000" mac also. Not sure why though.
I am running 380.65.0

@john9527

My RT-3100 has the "0000" mac also. Not sure why though.
I am running 380.65.0

It's a bug in the 3100, not the tool.

For example, look at your router model in the command prompt. I pointed this out a while back......

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.36868/page-16#post-304919

and Merlins response:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.36868/page-16#post-305065

Last edited:
Thank you for the explanation, I missed that previously.

I am using ver. 24a on my rt-3100.
I have some questions though.
If I upgrade(Eventually) to firmware-version 380.66, will this version work with it or will I need to wait for a new version of nvram-save?
I always do a "Reset to factory" before and after an upgrade. Is it better to use the "-M" option when upgrading to new firmware vers on the same router.?
I do have a lot of stuff set up(QOS, Lan ip's etc) on the current version(380.65_0) and I would hate to lose that stuff!

I am using ver. 24a on my rt-3100.
I have some questions though.
If I upgrade(Eventually) to firmware-version 380.66, will this version work with it or will I need to wait for a new version of nvram-save?
No, no need to wait. The current version is sync'ed with 380.65, so should cover all the options in that version. Once you get to 380.66, any new nvram settings wouldn't be saved by the current version. So for instance, moving from 380.66 to 380.67 in the future may require a new version, or you will need to manually update the settings for any new 380.66 options that weren't covered. I usually wait for the release to go public (not alpha or beta, before doing an update).
I always do a "Reset to factory" before and after an upgrade. Is it better to use the "-M" option when upgrading to new firmware vers on the same router.?
If you are on the same router, it's definitely better to NOT use the migration option. The migration option doesn't copy some settings which are likely to be different between router models (such as the router name, which usually includes the model of the router).
I do have a lot of stuff set up(QOS, Lan ip's etc) on the current version(380.65_0) and I would hate to lose that stuff!
There's still a place for the built in gui nvram save and load settings. If you do a save on the current level, and run into problems.....you can always revert to that level use the the built in save to get back to exactly where you started.

No, no need to wait. The current version is sync'ed with 380.65, so should cover all the options in that version. Once you get to 380.66, any new nvram settings wouldn't be saved by the current version. So for instance, moving from 380.66 to 380.67 in the future may require a new version, or you will need to manually update the settings for any new 380.66 options that weren't covered. I usually wait for the release to go public (not alpha or beta, before doing an update).

If you are on the same router, it's definitely better to NOT use the migration option. The migration option doesn't copy some settings which are likely to be different between router models (such as the router name, which usually includes the model of the router).

There's still a place for the built in gui nvram save and load settings. If you do a save on the current level, and run into problems.....you can always revert to that level use the the built in save to get back to exactly where you started.
Thank you for the reply!
I appreciate it and you software!

Quick question please.

Can I use this utility to save my RT-AC68U settings from Merlin 380.59_0 (pre-FCC reg) and restore them to 380.65_4 (post-FCC reg)? And do I just need the -B option?

I have never used this utility before.

Thanks in advance!

Quick question please.

Can I use this utility to save my RT-AC68U settings from Merlin 380.59_0 (pre-FCC reg) and restore them to 380.65_4 (post-FCC reg)? And do I just need the -B option?

I have never used this utility before.

Thanks in advance!
That's one of the things it was designed to do......keep the user settings while allowing the internal radio settings to be updated by the firmware. Should work fine. (the -b/B backup option is the default)

When I setup the USB stick on my router. I used the chmod +x on the "nvram-save" files. Will this cause a problem with a restore?
Should I change the chmod command?

When I setup the USB stick on my router. I used the chmod +x on the "nvram-save" files. Will this cause a problem with a restore?
Should I change the chmod command?
As per the instructions:
Code:
chmod a+rx ./*.sh       (this ensures the package script files are executable)
                         If using a FAT32 or exFAT formatted USB stick, you may skip this step.
                         Executing this command on a USB stick with these formats will generate
                         a permissions error which can safely be ignored.

As per the instructions:
Code:
chmod a+rx ./*.sh       (this ensures the package script files are executable)
                         If using a FAT32 or exFAT formatted USB stick, you may skip this step.
                         Executing this command on a USB stick with these formats will generate
                         a permissions error which can safely be ignored.
They are executable.
I just don't want any issues with what I have already saved.
Will making this change affect my saves I already did?

Thank you for the reply!

Will making this change affect my saves I already did?
It won't be a problem. All that does is ensure that all of John's scripts and your nvram-restore-*.sh scripts are readable and executable otherwise they won't run.

To be honest, you could even just do a "chmod -R 777 *" to give all permissions to all files. It's not like the router is a multi-user system, everything runs as admin anyway.

It won't be a problem. All that does is ensure that all of John's scripts and your nvram-restore-*.sh scripts are readable and executable otherwise they won't run.

To be honest, you could even just do a "chmod -R 777 *" to give all permissions to all files. It's not like the router is a multi-user system, everything runs as admin anyway.
Thanks!
I'll try that and see. Hopefully with the new version of RMerlin out, it will work!

First of all, to the author, thanks for the time and effort you've put in this apparantly useful tool. I haven't used it myself yet, would like to, but am wondering wether I can safely use it on AsusWrt-Merlins' latest release 380.66 or whether I should wait for a next release?

First of all, to the author, thanks for the time and effort you've put in this apparantly useful tool. I haven't used it myself yet, would like to, but am wondering wether I can safely use it on AsusWrt-Merlins' latest release 380.66 or whether I should wait for a next release?
It will be "safe", especially if you use Migration mode (see instructions). The worst thing that could happen is that any new NVRAM variables that this utility doesn't know about will be left at their default values.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!