What's new

Utilizing internal SD card RT-N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cmcgrath5035

New Around Here
I have a 32GB SD card partitioned (all ext2) as
Code:
/dev/sda1              1010.8M      1.3M    958.2M   0% /tmp/mnt/entware
/dev/sda3               493.9M      2.3M    466.1M   0% /tmp/mnt/jffsspace
/dev/sda4                27.3G     44.0M     26.2G   0% /tmp/mnt/dataspace

I plan to install entware to sda1
I would like to replace the default /jffs using onboard flash with partition sda3.
This way I presume /jffs contents would survive future upgrades and, well, 500M of 32GB is not a lot to give up from my free SD card space.

I see /tmp/etc/fstab is empty, so boot time mounts are setup elsewhere.

Or, should I load entware first and let it manage the /sda3 mount?

Thanks for any hints or pointers to "How-To", Wiki-Jffs has good info but no help this topic.

You can't. jffs is mounted much earlier than the USB devices, so for various functions having jffs mounted on an SD card won't work properly.

Thanks, I guess I'll just repartition the SD and recover my 500Mb.

As you likely recognize, my SD partitions were set up following OWTRW2 threads over at DD-wrt. I gave up on them, primarily because I like (==buy) Asus hardware and could not figure out which branch might actually run, and it is not obvious Optware runs anywhere there at the moment. So here I am, delighted so far.

A related question: I unsderstand why /jffs might get wiped in a future upgrade.
Am I correct that when my ASUSwrt-Merlin new load comes up, I'll at least have basic access to my SD card? My thinking is to maybe rename the 500MB (too big, I understand) 'jffsbackups' and use it as a recovery scratchpad.and perhaps keep a copy of nvram backup there too?

A simple "Good Idea/Bad idea" sufficient.

Thanks, I guess I'll just repartition the SD and recover my 500Mb.

As you likely recognize, my SD partitions were set up following OWTRW2 threads over at DD-wrt. I gave up on them, primarily because I like (==buy) Asus hardware and could not figure out which branch might actually run, and it is not obvious Optware runs anywhere there at the moment. So here I am, delighted so far.

A related question: I unsderstand why /jffs might get wiped in a future upgrade.
Am I correct that when my ASUSwrt-Merlin new load comes up, I'll at least have basic access to my SD card? My thinking is to maybe rename the 500MB (too big, I understand) 'jffsbackups' and use it as a recovery scratchpad.and perhaps keep a copy of nvram backup there too?

A simple "Good Idea/Bad idea" sufficient.

The SD card is functional. I use it on my development RT-N66U to host Entware. You could make an automated backup of your JFFS partition to it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!