What's new

VPN - Change IP address of clients to the assignable DHCP range?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AltF4

Occasional Visitor
SOLVED: Had to change the DHCP range (see below to post by RMerlin)

Hey there.
I am using VPN with my AC66U router, and connecting through my iPhone.

What I want:
To access my network devices remotely (other than my router, which I can hit).

Problem:
I cannot assign a DHCP-based range to VPN clients regardless of how hard I try.

For example:
My router IP is 192.168.2.1
I want my iPhone to have an address that is 192.168.2.xxx, but the VPN configuration textboxs require it be: 192.168.3.xxx (cannot put it the .2. range).

This would allow me to type in an address of a Repeater Bridge (like: 192.168.2.150) and access it from my iPhone. But because the address is like 192.168.3.xxx, I cannot hit anything (other than the Router as an exception).

Is this possible?
Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Hey there.
I am using VPN with my AC66U router, and connecting through my iPhone.

What I want:
To access my network devices remotely (other than my router, which I can hit).

Problem:
I cannot assign a DHCP-based range to VPN clients regardless of how hard I try.

For example:
My router IP is 192.168.2.1
I want my iPhone to have an address that is 192.168.2.xxx, but the VPN configuration textboxs require it be: 192.168.3.xxx (cannot put it the .2. range).

This would allow me to type in an address of a Repeater Bridge (like: 192.168.2.150) and access it from my iPhone. But because the address is like 192.168.3.xxx, I cannot hit anything (other than the Router as an exception).

Is this possible?
Thanks so much!

Go to the DHCP page of the router, and change the DHCP range to something smaller (for example, 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.199)

Then go back to the VPN page, and you should be able now to assign 192.168.2.200 to 192.168.2.209 for use on the VPN server.

The key is just to ensure that the two ranges don't overlap.

Go to the DHCP page of the router, and change the DHCP range to something smaller (for example, 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.199)

Then go back to the VPN page, and you should be able now to assign 192.168.2.200 to 192.168.2.209 for use on the VPN server.

You're the man. Thank you! This works great.
I would have never guessed that DHCP would be the *problem*.

That will be useful even if I go to another firmware :p

In hindsight it does make sense, because DHCP was doing what it normally does: Allocate all ranges.
And I couldn't use anything higher than .254 a host address because 255 in binary has all 8 bits set: 1111,1111 (which is the broadcast address for the subnet). Only place left to go was up a subnet to .3.

Last edited:

RMerlin,

My present configuration is Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.270.26b with OpenVPN server running. DHCP range is from 192.168.x.60 to 102. Some fixed DCHP addresses exist between 192.168.x.1 and 59. The DHCP for OVPN server is set to "Allocate from DHCP - YES". I decided to apply the above instructions and the following happen:

First I changed the DHCP range is from 192.168.x.60 to 100 and pushed the button "apply", everything was fine. Then I set the DHCP for OVPN server to "Allocate from DHCP - NO" and set range from 192.168.x.101 to 251 and pushed the button "apply", the WEB interface says "Completed", but after the webpage of the router has frozen with progress indicator running. The communication to the router and the whole internet connection was lost. After hard reboot of the router (power off and on) everything was fine with my Windows XP desktop client (wired, fixed IP), but the other client - Windows 7 laptop (wired, fixed IP) never restored the internet connection. It connected successfully after its Wi-Fi was switched on (separate fixed IP). The laptop wired connection was restored only after laptop reboot. There were no any OVPN clients connected at that time.

Any ideas what happened?

Last edited:
RMerlin,

My present configuration is Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.270.26 with OpenVPN server running. DHCP range is from 192.168.x.60 to 102. Some fixed DCHP addresses exist between 192.168.x.1 and 59. The DHCP for OVPN server is set to "Allocate from DHCP - YES". I decided to apply the above instructions and the following happen:

First I changed the DHCP range is from 192.168.x.60 to 100 and pushed the button "apply", everything was fine. Then I set the DHCP for OVPN server to "Allocate from DHCP - NO" and set range from 192.168.x.101 to 251 and pushed the button "apply", the WEB interface says "Completed", but after the webpage of the router has frozen with progress indicator running. The communication to the router and the whole internet connection was lost. After hard reboot of the router (power off and on) everything was fine with my Windows XP desktop client (wired, fixed IP), but the other client - Windows 7 laptop (wired, fixed IP) never restored the internet connection. It connected successfully after its Wi-Fi was switched on (separate fixed IP). The laptop wired connection was restored only after laptop reboot. There were no any OVPN clients connected at that time.

Any ideas what happened?

The original question and my answer were specific to PPTP BTW, not OpeNVPN.

With OpenVPN it's best to use a totally different network. The default 10.8.0.0 settings are good ones. DHCP should only be used in an environment where you have a TAP tunnel instead of a TUN tunnel.

The original question and my answer were specific to PPTP BTW, not OpeNVPN.

With OpenVPN it's best to use a totally different network. The default 10.8.0.0 settings are good ones. DHCP should only be used in an environment where you have a TAP tunnel instead of a TUN tunnel.

My configuration is TAP.