What's new

WAN Dropping All The Time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ewag

New Around Here
Image below is from my RT-AX88U running Merlin 384.14_0 (to be clear, this was happening before Merlin too). I've been chasing this issue for about 2 months. Prior to the AX we an AC87U for about 5 years. I blamed the router and bought a new one....problem persists. I've done factory resets on the router(s) and modem and made sure the modem has the latest firmware. Next step is to try to test my DSL line quality and ask CL for a new modem, because I'm starting to feel like it MIGHT be an issue on the WAN side of my router not my router.

What's somewhat misleading to me is the modem (in bridge mode) only has 4 lights that are on, which is how it should be:
  • Power
  • DSL1
  • DSL2
  • WAN/LAN
When the internet "drops" out I get a red light on my ASUS but all 4 of the lights on the modem remain unchanged. This is why I keep thinking it's a problem with the router, not the modem, but I also don't know enough to be sure chasing the right thing.

What's strange about the log below is that the time between the link being DOWN and UP again is always very minimal (seconds) but the red light on the router stays on a lot longer. It can be minutes or hours before suddenly the red light is white and we "have internet" however when looking at the log, there's nothing that coincides with internet returning.

Any help or suggestions? This is pretty frustrating. CenturyLink DSL is the only option where we live unless I were to try HughesNet....my hands are tied.

Annotation 2020-01-26 073603.jpg

Image below is from my RT-AX88U running Merlin 384.14_0 (to be clear, this was happening before Merlin too). I've been chasing this issue for about 2 months. Prior to the AX we an AC87U for about 5 years. I blamed the router and bought a new one....problem persists. I've done factory resets on the router(s) and modem and made sure the modem has the latest firmware. Next step is to try to test my DSL line quality and ask CL for a new modem, because I'm starting to feel like it MIGHT be an issue on the WAN side of my router not my router.

What's somewhat misleading to me is the modem (in bridge mode) only has 4 lights that are on, which is how it should be:
  • Power
  • DSL1
  • DSL2
  • WAN/LAN
When the internet "drops" out I get a red light on my ASUS but all 4 of the lights on the modem remain unchanged. This is why I keep thinking it's a problem with the router, not the modem, but I also don't know enough to be sure chasing the right thing.

What's strange about the log below is that the time between the link being DOWN and UP again is always very minimal (seconds) but the red light on the router stays on a lot longer. It can be minutes or hours before suddenly the red light is white and we "have internet" however when looking at the log, there's nothing that coincides with internet returning.

Any help or suggestions? This is pretty frustrating. CenturyLink DSL is the only option where we live unless I were to try HughesNet....my hands are tied.

View attachment 21063
The eth1-4 are your LAN ports on the router, not the WAN port (eth0). I don’t have an AX88, but just make sure you’re chasing the correct problem. What’s plugged into your LAN ports?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!