What's new

WAN Port Forwarding entries keep getting dropped

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

F-4Phantom

Occasional Visitor
Asus RT-AC66U-B1 running Merlin 384.19

I have two ports that I typically have open for WAN access to a couple of IP cameras with static IPs. These have worked perfectly in the past for many years.

Recently they stopped working, and I have noticed that each time I make the entry via the WebUI under WAN > Virtual Server / Port Forwarding that if i navigate away from the tab and then back, the entries are gone. As long as I don't navigate away from the tab in the WebUI with the appropriate entries, the ports are getting forwarded.

One of the changes I recently made was to use the Open NAT option under the WebUI for a gaming console. That seems to work as intended. The documentation seems to imply that I should still be able to utilize Port Forwarding under the WAN tab as usual. The NOTE from the Asus website (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039504/) states:

If you want to set up port forwarding rules for FTP server or other services, please go to WAN-> Virtual server/Port Forwarding. Please refer to [WAN] How to set up Virtual Server/Port Forwarding Rules.

Is there a CLI command I can use to "manually" forward those ports that I can try? Can someone confirm that I'm not being an idiot and that the WAN Port Forwarding and Open NAT are not mutually exclusive as well?

It's worth mentioning that if I use the Open NAT tab in the WebUI and make the appropriate entries for the two IP cams there, I am able to access the cameras again. But I don't understand the difference between the Open NAT and the normal WAN Port Forwarding.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!