What's new

WD Announces New MyCloud NASes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
wd_mycloudhome.jpg
The new My Cloud Home comes in single and dual-drive versions and is targeted at those who want to bring their "scattered digital content" back home from the cloud.

The Homes support new features not available on the mass-market My Clouds including individual user accounts, built-in search, quick media import via USB, auto media backup from Android and iOS devices and support for file import from Dropbox, Box, Google Drive, Facebook and other cloud services.

The new My Clouds also maintain their predecessor's strengths in easy remote access for files and media playback.

Both models have single gigabit Ethernet ports and USB 3.0 ports, one for the single bay and two for the dual.

The My Cloud Homes are initially available only at Best Buy in the U.S. and at "select retailers and distributors around the world". U.S. MSRPs are $159.99 2TB, $179.99 3TB, $199.99 4TB, $259.99 6TB and $319.99 8TB for the single bay model and $309.99 4TB, $399.99 8TB, $549.99 12TB, and $699.99 16TB for the dual bay.

This looks like a nice setup to push my kids portable devices towards, instead of my NAS/Media server.

I am still using an old Toshiba canvio home personal cloud 2TB NAS as a backup NAS for media streaming when my main NAS is busy with other tasks.

Mainly got it since a while back the 2TB NAS contains a HDS5C3020BLE630, and was selling for a little less than the bare drive :). It got a ton of bad review because if you followed the quick start guide, you received incorrect instructions that resulted in a horrible user experience, especially if you mistakenly installed the toshiba software. Though if set up right (by simply mapping the network share), you got a decent experience for basic stuff; sadly I only purchased one.

I recently configured a pair of MyBook Live for a customer's backups. Much, much nicer product than Seagate's similar offering (unless Seagate improved a LOT since last time I worked with them).

These should make it even harder for anyone to want to waste time with a USB disk plugged into a router IMHO.

Just installed the My Cloud Home 4TB ... very nice. Plex server is now included and works great ... no more requirement to open up the MacBook and open Plex to function as the server. Video files & Plex are all on the same NAS ... works sweet!

surprisingly pricing of the higher capacities isnt too bad. I thought this is gonna be another overpriced NAS product but the pricing of the higher capacities are surprisingly reasonable.

However there still isnt one to fill in the <$100 NAS for decent performance and features.

WD has always been pretty good about NAS pricing.

What's so magic about $100 other than the round #?
because everyone could then afford one.
A single 1TB drive costs $30 nowadays.
If you have a decent NAS that is decent for $70, you'd have won the purchases of many many more.

Its really just to do with what people can afford, its why 1080p 60 fps displays are still the norm because prices are stagnant and 4k hasnt replaced 1080p pricing yet.

I don't think a $30 difference prevents people from buying a NAS.
New 2TB MyCloud is around $130. Factory recertified 1TB is $80, 2TB is $90.

I don't think a $30 difference prevents people from buying a NAS.
New 2TB MyCloud is around $130. Factory recertified 1TB is $80, 2TB is $90.

$170 for the 6TB is a great price.
I currently have the 3TB WDMyCloud (gen 1) to have the i-devices auto upload pix and vids, and store backups, etc. I also have a WDLive 3TB attached as "backup" for the MyCloud.
I started ripping blu rays, so the Family can stream movies to their devices, via the WD ios app. The devices have no problem opening/playing the files (m4v). I use Kodi and Librelec for our large format display, so no Plex experience.
Question:
Is there a significant advantage(s) to upgrading to the latest WD My Cloud Home?

I agree with what you said, regarding the processor.
I will take advantage of the 6TB refurb, thanks for the information and the link.

EDIT
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=18909

I located a WD page, which states the differences between the two WD Cloud NAS offerings.
Upgrades to the new My Cloud Home appear a significant improvement from my gen 1 device.
Although the cost is fair IMHO (6TB $259), I will wait for sales via other vendors (i.e. Amazon) and see if the price goes lower.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!