What's new

Weird Issue on Asus speed test vs Desktop Speed test

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

garysteel

Occasional Visitor
Recent moved on to FTTH at 3Gb service but replaced their router with my XT12 (limiting to the 2.5GbE) and had CF reprovision line to focus on my routers MAC as opposed to me cloning their MAC, this fixed my IPv6 issue but then ended up (after factory resetting my XT12 and Associated AiMesh setup ) to the speed test on my XT12 reading 1.1Gb D/l and Upload of 2.2Gb but my desk top instead on its test pulling 2.2Gbe both D/l and U/l.

Is my router corrupted some how I've reinstalled merlin 3.8.8. 2 but same issue .... to all intensive purposes I think everything is working bar the weird speed test result direct from the router.

1685774217243.png

Recent moved on to FTTH at 3Gb service but replaced their router with my XT12 (limiting to the 2.5GbE) and had CF reprovision line to focus on my routers MAC as opposed to me cloning their MAC, this fixed my IPv6 issue but then ended up (after factory resetting my XT12 and Associated AiMesh setup ) to the speed test on my XT12 reading 1.1Gb D/l and Upload of 2.2Gb but my desk top instead on its test pulling 2.2Gbe both D/l and U/l.

Is my router corrupted some how I've reinstalled merlin 3.8.8. 2 but same issue .... to all intensive purposes I think everything is working bar the weird speed test result direct from the router.

View attachment 50607

Your router is not capable of doing speed tests at those speeds. A wired PC is the only way to get an accurate result. The built in speed test should never be used even at lower speeds, the CPU in these routers can't do it reliably.

It has been fine up until I had the line reprovisioned with the XT12 internal speedtest matching the 2.2Gb wired speed test of my desktop...but now it seems to have given up, I hear what you are saying. Thank you for taking time to review and comment.

It has been fine up until I had the line reprovisioned with the XT12 internal speedtest matching the 2.2Gb wired speed test of my desktop...but now it seems to have given up, I hear what you are saying. Thank you for taking time to review and comment.

You said you upgraded to 3G service. What did you have before? It may have been able to keep up with the older speed. You also now have IPv6 enabled so the router may very well be testing to an IPv6 server which is not handling as much speed as your desktop which may be using IPv4. IPv6 alone is adding an extra load on the router too (additional firewall, etc). If you don't have a specific reason for IPv6 (for example their IPv4 is CGNAT and you need inbound connections) just shut it off.

It is possible something else got changed when you reset the router, maybe you now have aiprotection, traffic monitor, QOS, etc enabled? Those will all bog down the CPU too. Or something you had tweaked before you didn't this time.

As long as the device behind the router is getting full speed, you're good. The internal speed test is "hit or miss" at best.

If you really want to troubleshoot it, make sure the internal test is using the exact same server and protocol (IPv4 or IPv6) as your desktop. Try disabling V6 and see if that changes anything.

But in reality, it is not something to worry about. Nobody uses that test for anything serious.

That makes sense - I was on FTTC with 55 Mbps Down and 16 Mbps up......but by previously i meant when I was cloning the MAC address of the supplied 10GbE router , when doing that IPv6 was not getting any positive results form various test sites. Now with only my XT12 Mac provisioned and no need tfor the clone the IPv6 test sites are all positive so this may have something like you said .

I have disabled QOS as at this speed I do not beleive it is needed (I may be wrong) but like you say . move one and enjoy if my desktop is providing the 2.2 GbE up and down and this is via the router then ignore it. Its very hard to not focus on that and will do my best. Again thanks really appreciated.

If you don't have a specific reason for IPv6 (for example their IPv4 is CGNAT and you need inbound connections) just shut it off.

And it bugs other things in partial IPv6 support Asuswrt. Default disabled for a good reason, @garysteel.

Oh…! Was unaware of issues, as per earlier advice may disable..but at the mo i don’t want to tweak anyfurther as every time i tweak something the speed changes..lol

As a rule No.1 - don't enable firmware options you don't need or use. The more you experiment the closer you get to reboot and reset.

As a rule No.1 - don't enable firmware options you don't need or use. The more you experiment the closer you get to reboot and reset.
LOl...Yes I know.!!! consider me a rogue. I think the problem (in addition to the flakiness of the inherent Speed test and IPv6) is that I alway always selecting my ISP to test against but if I select a different one then the speed test matches my desktop, return to CF and it drops. bizarre...but enough of dragging everyones time in on this ...thank you all. The first image shows the issue the second speeds if I select a different ISP for the router to test against.

;)

B.jpg
A.jpg

Problem solved. Don't touch anything now. :)

LOl...Yes I know.!!! consider me a rogue. I think the problem (in addition to the flakiness of the inherent Speed test and IPv6) is that I alway always selecting my ISP to test against but if I select a different one then the speed test matches my desktop, return to CF and it drops. bizarre...but enough of dragging everyones time in on this ...thank you all. The first image shows the issue the second speeds if I select a different ISP for the router to test against.

;)

View attachment 50653View attachment 50652

Quite possible the router is using IPv6 to test and that link to your ISPs server (or they have a separate server for IPv6) is slower. As you can see, this is a non-issue. Always use a desktop hard wired to get accurate results.

I have accurate speed test with my rt-ax88u pro

For now, until you upgrade your internet, enable features on the router, update firmware, router is scanning channels when you do your test, it picks a different server, etc etc.

It is not wrong 100% of the time, but by not being right 100% of the time, that makes it unreliable and thus, of no use.