What's new

Asus Merlin 388.2_2 speed test history not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cream

Occasional Visitor
Is it just me but on my Asus RT-AX86U running Merlin 388.2_2 when I do an internet speed test on the router it runs but it doesn't keep a history of previous speed tests. Its just blank. It was handy to see what see what your previous speed teed tests had. Maybe its a setting and or bug?

Thanks folks.

same here

I'm seeing a history maintained. Check the contents of directory /jffs/.sys/OOKLA for a "ookla_history" file.

This issue is present even in newer stock Asuswrt 386_23285. Web History freezes as well from time to time and needs router reboot to recover.

This issue is present even in newer stock Asuswrt 386_23285. Web History freezes as well from time to time and needs router reboot to recover.
The web history on my rt-ax86u after updating to Merlin 388.2_2 has been working without failures for 6 days. But the history of speed tests is no longer saved, like the author of this topic.

Last edited:
This Ookla bloatware has to be removed from the firmware. Not needed and inaccurate, CPU limited.

Internet Speed History working on a RT-AX86 Pro running 388.2_2.
RT-AX86U_Pro_Internet_Speed.jpg

Internet Speed History working

I believe everyone has seen it working. I see this on stock Asuswrt right now:

1685134327827.png

The same was happening on 388_22525 (388.2 base) and now happens on 388_23285, RT-AX86U router doing basically nothing.

This Ookla bloatware has to be removed from the firmware. Not needed and inaccurate, CPU limited.
I agree the speedtest app is more accurate since it won't have to deal with the router cpu.

1685135325574.png

1685135379433.png

Last edited:
Great. Problem solved.
I know they've upgraded the ookla exe a few times over the years, so it's possible that newer versions are better able to use multiple CPU cores.

The problem before was crashing. I don't see it crashing now, but it loses the history.

The problem before was crashing. I don't see it crashing now, but it loses the history.
My history is working but I rarely run this from the router my test I just did is listed aswell as some from like 2 years ago.

1685135981965.png

History is stored in a JSON file under /jffs/.sys/OOKLA/

History is stored in a JSON file under /jffs/.sys/OOKLA/

Probably, but I'm not going to investigate what's wrong. My router is on stock Asuswrt at the moment. I mean... the thread is posted in Asuswrt-Merlin section, but the issue is in Asuswrt. It was reported already and hopefully someone at Asus takes a look before the next firmware release.

After I looked at the contents of the files in the /jffs/.sys/OOKLA/ folder, the history of the speed test suddenly began to be saved. Miracles.

I had the same problem so i tried reformatting the JFFS partition and speedtest history started working again.

I use spdMerlin for my speedtests, but after reading this topic, I wanted to see how it woks here. It used to work with previous firmware versions.
I get this (my internet connection works well):

Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 12-04-21 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX58U - Internet Speed.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!