What's new

What could cause things to run so slowly?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Synomenon

Regular Contributor
Why are my speeds so low?

RT-AX86U
Cox gigablast internet service

Ubiquiti CloudKey G1
2x Ubiquiti Unifi AP Pro
Netgear GS110TPP in the IDF

I do have 18 devices in the DHCP reservation list and the AX86U is on firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42095.

Attachments

• 0995A1EB-EC5D-4403-8CFA-9854A280A7DF.png
    0995A1EB-EC5D-4403-8CFA-9854A280A7DF.png
    360.2 KB · Views: 127
I don't know if anything was actively downloading, but we do have 50+ devices on our network. Maybe a third of them are IoT devices. The rest are TVs, computers, tablets and smartphones.

We've been noticing though that wired speeds have been slow for some of our Smart TVs. Apps. will crash or black out and show that the connection is too slow. We'll notice slow connections on our phones and tablets as well whether they're connected to the AX86U's wifi signal or the Ubiquiti's wifi signal. This has started fairly recently and I did update the AX86U's firmware fairly recently as well so I was thinking it might be related to that.

When running the speed test in the Asus app. it shows that speeds are what we expect them to be (~830Mbps down and ~200Mbps up).

I don't know if anything was actively downloading, but we do have 50+ devices on our network. Maybe a third of them are IoT devices. The rest are TVs, computers, tablets and smartphones.

We've been noticing though that wired speeds have been slow for some of our Smart TVs. Apps. will crash or black out and show that the connection is too slow. We'll notice slow connections on our phones and tablets as well whether they're connected to the AX86U's wifi signal or the Ubiquiti's wifi signal. This has started fairly recently and I did update the AX86U's firmware fairly recently as well so I was thinking it might be related to that.

When running the speed test in the Asus app. it shows that speeds are what we expect them to be (~830Mbps down and ~200Mbps up).

Can you please provide more quantitative speed measures? "Slow" really doesn't give one a sense of how much slower than 830/200 that you say is what you expect. For example, wifi is always slower than wired devices. And some wired devices just don't support 830Mbps download speed. Phones, tablets, and smart TV's can fall into that, depending on how old they are and what their wifi hardware is. Not getting a sense of what you're seeing...the snapshots you provided are interesting, but those look like instantaneous snapshots, and really don't say much about average speed, or speed when there's actually something going on. Or have a time scale on them.

You have a lot of wifi hardware, wondering what sort of space you're trying to cover, how many floors, construction style, etc. You can have too much coverage, to the point where clients have problems.

Last edited:
This has started fairly recently and I did update the AX86U's firmware fairly recently as well so I was thinking it might be related to that.

Why are my speeds so low?

RT-AX86U
Cox gigablast internet service

Ubiquiti CloudKey G1
2x Ubiquiti Unifi AP Pro
Netgear GS110TPP in the IDF

I do have 18 devices in the DHCP reservation list and the AX86U is on firmware 3.0.0.4.386_42095.

This sounds like the problem I was having after initial setup for a BNIB stock 384 code, AX86.

After flashing to Merlin 386 code from stock 386 code, things ran at a crawl, even after a couple of hours and lasted the rest of the day.

Save a backup of settings and JFFS and "reflash" same firmware and *tick the boxes*(2) to wipe all areas.
***Edit: by (2) I mean the box next to factory wipe (1) and re-tick (2)the "wipe JFFS partition on next reboot".
Make sure to hit apply before rebooting. Do the second GUI factory reset the same way when it comes back up.

You may have to start from scratch with settings or you can try to import them.
I did everything fresh.

Last edited:
I may try to update to Merlin firmware the way you did, but for now the issue is gone after having Cox replace my modem.

I had Spectrum replace my old modem more recently as well. Either the old one was getting flaky with age or they were causing the issue on purpose. (forcing an upgrade?) (infrastructure change?)
The new one is a Technicolor ET2251 with the 2.5 wan port. (based on Hitron model / made in Indonesia)
Can't see logs anymore.

I have a similar unit (Technicolor CGM4141) for Cox "gigablast" service. I have it in bridge mode to my AX86U.

I wish I could using something better like the Arris S33 or Netgear CAX80, but the head of household refuses to give up land-line phone service so we're stuck with this modem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!