What's new

What do I need to extend my AC wireless coverage in my house

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

samhain1

Occasional Visitor
I have the AC66U in a bedroom connected to my PC. At the back of the house I hardly get any signal at all. I try to connect to my HTC One as it is ac wireless compatible.

What do I need to add to my house to extend the wireless AC network in my house when still using the AC66U

Thanks

I have the AC66U in a bedroom connected to my PC. At the back of the house I hardly get any signal at all. I try to connect to my HTC One as it is ac wireless compatible.

What do I need to add to my house to extend the wireless AC network in my house when still using the AC66U

Thanks

The best way is to run a lan cable to another place in the house and set up another AC56/66/68 there as Access Point. The less reliable way is to use another AC56/66/68 as Wireless Repeater and place it closer to the other end of the house but not too far since it need to have a strong enough connection to your router in order to broadcast with decent speed to the rest of the house.

The best way is to run a lan cable to another place in the house and set up another AC56/66/68 there as Access Point. The less reliable way is to use another AC56/66/68 as Wireless Repeater and place it closer to the other end of the house but not too far since it need to have a strong enough connection to your router in order to broadcast with decent speed to the rest of the house.

Just a quick comment, if you add a router in repeater mode, you cut the throughput at least in half. If you use a wire or powerline networking (or MoCA) to a router in Access Point mode, you don't have this problem, you get the full speed supported by the wire or wire-equivalent.

Just a quick comment, if you add a router in repeater mode, you cut the throughput at least in half. If you use a wire or powerline networking (or MoCA) to a router in Access Point mode, you don't have this problem, you get the full speed supported by the wire or wire-equivalent.

True. Also keep in mind that any option other than LAN cable will severely hurt the bandwidth that will reach the extender. Considering that the ac standard can give you up to around 550Mbps real speed, then your only option to provide the extender with at least that speed is 1gbps LAN connection (cat5e or cat6).

It is true that powerline networking and MoCA (that I'm aware of) are not compatible with wireless-ac speeds. So you pretty much have to have a wire to a wireless-ac router acting as an AP to extend your wireless-ac.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!