What's new

What happens if I turn off Network Monitoring?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qbcd

Regular Contributor
So there is the Network Monitoring setting, accessible in the Dual WAN menu as well as the Administration -> System menu - and they appear to be the same setting.

My question is, if I turn off both ping and DNS query, what will that do?

What's the function of this setting? Is it only to correctly display on the Network Map page if WAN is down? If so, then I'd rather have it turned off as I don't want my router constantly pinging or querying Google, if my network is down I'll notice it without the router telling me so. But if I check off both options, will that turn if off, or will the router continue checking in some other way?

And related question, what is the Automatic USB Backup option that is available in the Dual WAN menu (appears if you've turned off Dual WAN)? Is it basically another form of dual WAN, how does it differ from having Dual WAN enabled with USB WAN set up as secondary?

Sorry lots of questions, hope someone has answers. Thanks!

FYI I have an AX86U.

So there is the Network Monitoring setting, accessible in the Dual WAN menu as well as the Administration -> System menu - and they appear to be the same setting.

My question is, if I turn off both ping and DNS query, what will that do?

What's the function of this setting? Is it only to correctly display on the Network Map page if WAN is down? If so, then I'd rather have it turned off as I don't want my router constantly pinging or querying Google, if my network is down I'll notice it without the router telling me so. But if I check off both options, will that turn if off, or will the router continue checking in some other way?

And related question, what is the Automatic USB Backup option that is available in the Dual WAN menu (appears if you've turned off Dual WAN)? Is it basically another form of dual WAN, how does it differ from having Dual WAN enabled with USB WAN set up as secondary?

Sorry lots of questions, hope someone has answers. Thanks!

FYI I have an AX86U.

If you disable it, your WAN will never fail over unless you physically unplug it.

Not sure about the automatic USB backup as mine does not list that but you should be able to click the help link on that screen and find out.

But I don't even have Dual WAN enabled. So then what would be the use of having Network Monitoring enabled (either checked), I'm curious.

There would be no reason to check those off if you don't have dual wan enabled. I'm assuming they'd have no effect anyway.

The normal browser redirect for internet down is configured under administration.

The dual wan one is for automated failover. The other is just to tell you the internet is down.

There would be no reason to check those off if you don't have dual wan enabled. I'm assuming they'd have no effect anyway.

The normal browser redirect for internet down is configured under administration.

The dual wan one is for automated failover. The other is just to tell you the internet is down.
Ok, I see. But I'm pretty sure they're the same setting, because if I change it in one place, it changes in the other place too.

So with dual WAN it helps detect automatic failover, and without dual WAN it's just so you see on the Network Map page if your internet is down? I'll turn it off then, not worth it having my router ping every few seconds.

If you disable it, your WAN will never fail over unless you physically unplug it.

This is what happens on Asus routers most of the time regardless of WAN detection enabled or disabled.

I'll turn it off then, not worth it having my router ping every few seconds.

It doesn't ping, but still queries dns.msftncsi.com even if disabled. You can turn it off with no big change in GUI behavior.

Ok, I see. But I'm pretty sure they're the same setting, because if I change it in one place, it changes in the other place too.

So with dual WAN it helps detect automatic failover, and without dual WAN it's just so you see on the Network Map page if your internet is down? I'll turn it off then, not worth it having my router ping every few seconds.

If you don't care to have the redirect notice (nothing to do with GUI, it is on client machines that it displays "internet is down" when they try to go to a website) then just disable it completely in both places.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!