What's new

Which Great Router/Modem for Comcast?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NesTx88

Regular Contributor
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to decide on a great router and modem to use? I've done some research, and here's what I found.

Modem wise:
sb6183 - 600 mbs (cheaper)
sb6190 - 1.2 gbs (future proof)

Router wise:
Asus RT 3100
Asus RT 3200
(any other routers you all can suggest)

I'm in a 1 story home thats about 2000sq ft, using the comcast 100mbs internet, and I'm not really trying to break the bank. I have 4 computers I use, 3 cell phones, and a xboxone.

I really think the SB6190 + rt3100 would be a great combo, but I'm wondering while the price is right to just go with the sb6183 + rt 3100? Or if theres any other newer, faster routers/modems around the same price, I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts.

Thanks.

Not sure about the router, but you should stay with what your ISP sanctions regarding modems. Not all modems are supported by ISP's, for a lot of reasons.. Ultimately, you are responsible for all firmware upgrades, and the onus is on you to ensure the modem is secure. Check with your ISP first, before purchasing a modem..

The RT-AC3100 and RT-AC3200 fill different needs, so it depends on what your specific needs are wifi-wise.

The RT-AC3100 and RT-AC3200 fill different needs, so it depends on what your specific needs are wifi-wise.

Can you explain how they are different? seems like the 3100 fills the need of a home 2k sq ft, 10 devices, but correct me if I'm wrong?

Can you explain how they are different? seems like the 3100 fills the need of a home 2k sq ft, 10 devices, but correct me if I'm wrong?

The RT-AC3200 is a tri-band router with a slower CPU and not enough nvram to be fully configured, while the RT-AC3100 is a dual band, but with a faster CPU, and more nvram for advanced configuration.

You'd only get an RT-AC3200 if you had a lot of 5 GHz devices with a lot of data transfer, requiring the use of two separate bands to ensure that the slower clients don't affect the speed of the faster clients.

Coverage should be nearly identical with both models.

So narrowing it down, would you think the 3100 would be the best in my case, or is there another Router around the same price? Or stick with the 3200? Not sure why people would still get the 3200 then?

3 iPhones (6, 7 plus, 4s)
Xboxone, and switch
Roku and a firetv
2 laptops, 2 desktops

So narrowing it down, would you think the 3100 would be the best in my case, or is there another Router around the same price? Or stick with the 3200?

The RT-AC3100 is a better product overall.

Not sure why people would still get the 3200 then?

People who have the specific needs that I listed, but aren't willing to pay the extra for its successor, the RT-AC5300 (which is the three-band alternative to the RT-AC3100).

Based on your device list, the RT-AC3100 would be the better choice.

I think the only needs that would be fulfilled for the RT-AC3200 would be Broadcom shareholders...

double the chips, double the profits...

I think the only needs that would be fulfilled for the RT-AC3200 would be Broadcom shareholders...

double the chips, double the profits...

There are benefits of having two separate radio when either your airtime is saturated, or you have a mixture of slow and fast clients, and they both need to transfer simultaneously.