What's new

Which routers/firmwares support easiest logging?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BrianBloom

New Around Here
[This is a repost of something I had appended to another thread, but think it was kinda lost there, so I deleted that post and am asking as its own thread]

Do any of the typical home routers or popular firmwares support easy granular network and syslogging, and/or SNMP?

My interest is in basic security (what IP addresses inside/outside my router are opening connection to what other IPs on what ports?) and overall performance ("My internet feels slow right now, is something consuming the bandwidth?")

I have an older Cisco E4200 and have been pondering an upgrade for it. My three biggest criteria for an upgrade are:
1. Decent range - it's in the basement of a 3 floor house
2. Good logging options - to do the above capture
3. Open source firmware - not critical but I've liked running Tomato and other open ones in the past, but now, need #2 trumps #3 for me, so I'm open to native/proprietary logging options although standard SNMP and/or syslogs would be nice.

I have several NASes and PCs (linux and windows) that could ultimately aggregate collected data if needed.

Any tips on routers and/or network logging tools that would fit my needs? I have been considering the R7000 and AC68U as possible platforms, but open to other solutions.

3 floor house. You'll need 1 or 2 access points (APs).

logging... some, like the Cradlepoint I use, have a syslog client that reports a great deal of info.
My NAS is a Synology and it has a syslog server.

I don't use those things at home. I have used the above at work.

Syslog reports I saw tend to be dominated by virus propagation attempts coming from Asia.