What's new

Why do clients (Intel AC) connect to the AC68U at 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz band?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JeroenB

New Around Here
I have been testing the Asus AC68U (Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.3626) with an Intel 7260 AC client adapter. Both are in the same room, distance approx. 6 meters.
If I disable the 2.4GHz radio on the Asus AP the client connects to the 5GHz and performs very well.
If I enable the 2.4GHz radio the client always connects to this radio, the performance is a lot worse off course.
I would like to let AC clients connect to the 5GHz radio and clients who don't support this should connect to the 2,4GHz. Can this be configured somehow?

Not automatically.

Best solution in your case is to give each network its own SSID. For devices that you want to connect to AC only give them the credentials in network places to sign onto 5 Ghz. For those that use only 2.4 Ghz they will only connect to the SSID for 2.4 Ghz network.

Not automatically.

Best solution in your case is to give each network its own SSID. For devices that you want to connect to AC only give them the credentials in network places to sign onto 5 Ghz. For those that use only 2.4 Ghz they will only connect to the SSID for 2.4 Ghz network.

Thanks for your reply, however I prefer to offer only 1 SSID to the clients. It's a pity that this isn't possible, do you know if it's limited by WiFi design or by the manufacturer of the AP?

Thanks for your reply, however I prefer to offer only 1 SSID to the clients. It's a pity that this isn't possible, do you know if it's limited by WiFi design or by the manufacturer of the AP?

This has nothing to do with the router. The client is the one who decides where to connect. As pointed out, the only way to truly control this behaviour is by using different SSIDs. Otherwise, it's up to the manufacturer of the wireless adapter as well as the operating system to decide.

You don't say what operating system on your clients, but on my Windows 7 7260AC driver, there is both a 'Preferred Band' and 'Wireless Mode' setting in the advanced properties that can force it to the 5GHz band.

You don't say what operating system on your clients, but on my Windows 7 7260AC driver, there is both a 'Preferred Band' and 'Wireless Mode' setting in the advanced properties that can force it to the 5GHz band.

Thanks, I found the setting and it works for this client. New clients however (iPAD Air f.e.) do not have this option so I will have to configure 2 different SSID's anyhow.
It's a pity that this is the only way to force users to 5GHz frequencies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!