What's new

Why doesn't ASUS remove useless features?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTFast is a genuine third-party service that some people use. What you and I may consider useless may be a selling point for others!

WTFast is a genuine third-party service that some people use. What you and I may consider useless may be a selling point for others!
Most of gamers use Exitlag. Exitlag is way better. Exitlag is the best option for ASUS instead of a noob service WTfast.

Learn to build the firmware with the modules you want.

Complaining what's included currently won't help.

Learn to build the firmware with the modules you want.

Complaining what's included currently won't help.
Nope. I don't like to use moded firmware or mod. They are unsafe and unstable. I use some of them for certain purpose, but I don't like it actually. Complaining helps a lot. That's why they fix bugs, remove, change, add some features. Don't you know they've added more settings and features for commercial VPN services?;)

Last edited:
By your reasoning, we should all complain until we get what we all want. Nothing.

I don't game. I want all those features gone totally. And not replaced by more features some juvenile calls 'better'.

I want Asus routers to grow up and give us all commercial-level features. Not features that less than 10% of the population uses 'heavily'.

Not all modded firmware is unsafe and unstable. RMerlin firmware is the perfect example of this.

A decade ago, I would test the differences between stock and RMerlin firmware. That got old fast. RMerlin was always superior in my testing, so no more even considering stock Asus firmware for any network I control.

Complaining doesn't help at all. It's just noise. Try contributing instead.

Complains helps! When done to the vendor!
Not on a public forum unmonitored by the vendor.

I'm somehow here with you: some features are obsolete and/or useless. But complaining about it on SNBForum makes no difference whatsoever.
Sure. You know what? They monitor here. Don't you know about that? I have exp that they asked me LOG and related information with their ASUS official employee email. 🤣 They are not stupids.

What you and I may consider useless may be a selling point for others!

Yeah. And even more to the point, it's a checklist item for somebody. In just about any sort of product, it's d*mn hard to remove a feature once you've shipped it: you will get few kudos and you might get a lot of pushback. ASUS are no more exempt from that dynamic than anyone else.

You could fairly question whether they should have had a higher bar to adding borderline features in the first place ... but what's done is done.

I don't like to use moded firmware or mod

If you want custom set of features on your router you have to build it yourself. OPNsense, pfSense, OpenWrt have extra modules and you can install what you need and configure it the way you want. This flexibility is not needed and not available on AIO home routers.

Complains helps! When done to the vendor!
Not on a public forum unmonitored by the vendor.

I'm somehow here with you: some features are obsolete and/or useless. But complaining about it on SNBForum makes no difference whatsoever.

Yes here, there and everywhere to seek people attention hopefully we can get ASUS to listen then.

I will tell you what will happen if he opens a ticket giving ASUS feedback, they will assure him that it will forward it to their developers and nothing will happen.

But if he gathers people attention publicly then whoever agrees with his opinion contact’s ASUS we may see a change.

According to what you wrote, this forum only discuss the positives and people should not seek other opinions regarding anything that could elevate to criticizing or negatively discuss something.

God forbid someone says something negative about ASUS in here.

////////////////////////////

@thiggins

May I crack a joke about ASUS here ?
😅

Last edited:
“AI” says Hi 🤣

1- While WTFast might have its merits, the original post wasn't about undermining its value. It's a simple request for a cleaner firmware. Just because something serves a purpose for a few doesn't mean a discussion on optimizing the user experience for all is unwarranted.

2- Expecting everyone to build their firmware ignores the fact that not all users are tech-savvy or have the time for that. The point is to advocate for an inclusive experience that caters to various user levels. Blaming users for wanting a better out-of-the-box experience is missing the mark.

3- No one's suggesting constant complaining, but feedback is how improvement happens. The original post isn't a demand for everything, but a plea for choices. The "noise" you mention is the sound of users expressing their preferences, which is essential for companies to understand their customers better.

4- Yes, removing features can be tough, but that doesn't mean we should stop pushing for better products. Holding companies to higher standards benefits everyone. The "done is done" mentality perpetuates stagnation. Adaptation and refinement are key to progress.

5- Sure, custom firmware is an option, but not everyone wants to tread that complex path. The whole point of the original post was to make the official firmware more versatile without going to the extreme of custom solutions. Dismissing this as unnecessary ignores the varying needs of users.

It's important to foster healthy discussions rather than shutting down any critical conversation. Negative feedback can be constructive, leading to improvements that benefit both enthusiasts and general users.

Blaming users for wanting a better out-of-the-box experience

None of the extra Asuswrt features are enabled by default and forced on users. All TrendMicro and Gaming features are optional.

None of the extra Asuswrt features are enabled by default and forced on users. All TrendMicro and Gaming features are optional.

He said ASUS should use this instead of that and it's just a feedback. We may agree or disagree with his point of view but we should not be justifying ASUS decision that aggressivly. btw he was not talking about features being enabled or disabled.

This situation could have been avoided had the forum been open to diverse viewpoints and feedback, rather than predominantly supporting ASUS over the interests of the consumers.

That's enough. Knock it off you two.

Locking this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!