What's new

Why is my router throtteling my bandwidth

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pardysound

Occasional Visitor
Hi there.
I have recently upgraded my ISP service to a package the is marketed as 250mbps. My Home network consists of the service providers modem, an airport extreme, dLink DGS1016d Gigabit Switch, i7 iMac (connected via LAN)

With that configuration when I run a speediest through speedtest.net I get about 150mbps.. So I took everything out and just connect directly from the computer to the router and did the test again.. This time I got 255mbps. So I did some research and found that the Airport Extreme's WAN to LAN / LAN to WAN throughput speeds are lower than many of the newer routers on the market, so I picked up a Linksys E4200 with according to this site is one of the top rated models for WAN to LAN / LAN to WAN throughput.. Then Running the speed test again I see an increase, but but still only 180mbps, not the promised 250mbps. Is there some part of the network that I am not configuring correctly that may be causing the bottleneck ?

CP

The 4th Gen Airport Extreme (MC340LL/A) measured > 400 Mbps WAN to LAN and > 300 Mbps LAN to WAN in our routing throughput tests. The E4200 measures > 600 Mbps in both directions.

Does your ISP use any of the secure authentication protocols (PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP)?

Hi,

Thanks for answering both of my posts today :D

I am now switched over to the lynksys e4200. My ISP does use PPoE.

I am now switched over to the lynksys e4200. My ISP does use PPoE.
I always run my throughput tests using DHCP WAN type. If you have the router set to use PPPoE WAN type, there is a possibility that there could be some overhead reducing performance.

Otherwise, I have no explanation for what you're seeing.