What's new

wifi/3G fallback router wanted with NAS (and/or DNLA server) for usage in the car

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

netweaver

New Around Here
Hi,
on my travel trips abroad I would like to provide to all people in the car a shared wifi access to the internet using a wifi router in the booth connected with a 3G dongle to the provider from the country I'm in.

I also want to connect an USB HD to router, to serve as a NAS/DNLA server, for videos to be store, to keep kids busy. The idea is that 5 people (2 adults, 3 kids) could be connected using only 1 USB dongle (for lighter applications: whatsapp, mail etc ..). Then I only need one SIM card/country.
i would keep the stuff in the booth and pull the USB dongle out via an USB cable to have better antenna visibility. Power can be using a separate 12V to 220V convertor, to get a stable voltage from the battery.
reecommendation would be to have to 2 USB ports, that saves another USB HUB (+adapter).

I'm not looking at any specific car solution, as they are ruggedized and very expensive. A home router will do, as long as it has the required functionality.

was looking at the Prolink WNR1012 or Cradlepoint MBR900 but I'm sure there are many other ones now being offered. I just like some comments/recommendations on this solution.

Thanks.

Cradlepoint or Sierra Wireless. I've used both. For a consumer, the former is better - accepts a USB 3G/4G modem (Verizon in my case).

I have also used Cradlepoint's travel routers - USB port too, with WiFi and Ethernet. Creates a WiFi bubble in the car/hotel room for my tablet and laptop using Verizon - usually better than Hotel WiFi.

decided ... bought Huawei E5776

Just a quick update, I went for a fast (future proof LTE) MIFI solution. I hope the reception quality is good enough to allow proper mobile speeds. Data sharing (aka movie viewing) is via an uSD card of max 32 GB. Should be ok for quite a few movies to be viewed by the backseat crowd, on the tablets attached to the back of the front seats :)

It's an all-in-one solution, portable, easily powered but not v feature rich (no cabled connections), no USB attached storage, no NAS, no WIFI/3G fallback router, no remotely available antenna for improved connectivity. But cheaper overall solution price, ease of install/setup. And I hope it will be usable for the purpose.

If people want a good overview of (maybe) all products available , look here : www.4gltemall.com. I bought my MIFI in a Dutch online store, www.conrad.nl. The price was 185€, it was on stock, I needed it quickly so went for it.

I will update later on signal reception quality, speed, ease of use etc ... for people thinking about buying one themselves.

Last edited:
Huawei makes some decent 3G WiFi devices for GSM/UMTS/LTE - and they support most of the band classes in Asia and Europe, along with US/Canada and Latin America - I keep one in my bag and pick up a pay-as-you-go SIM card where I land and go from there...

Sierra Wireless and Novatel are also very strong players in the 3G-WiFi arena with some very good products

Don't forget that many Android phones also have personal hotspot modes, and should also comment that Apple's iPhone and Blackberries can offer this mode based on the carrier configs.

the hocky puck Cellular to WiFi MiWi type things are OK for light duty. Battery scheme is sometimes a PITA.

In a car, you can put it in the front or rear window area to get better cellular signal strength.

I hope you use Verizon for 3G/4G, due to their coverage. Lies from AT&T aside, it vastly larger than any other carrier.

4G in 700MHz (LTE) will get much better in-car penetration than 3G (1900MHz mostly). And building penetration. But all cellular is poor in basements, parking garages, etc.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!