What's new

WIFI Interfence with Uniden DECT Cordless Phone

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

astroarthur

New Around Here
This is probably one of the repetitive queries that get regurgitated with monotonous regularity and for that i apologize in advance.

I have a NETGEAR DGN 1000 wireless modem/ router and a Uniden cordless phone (DECT) that until about a fortnight ago shared a wonderfully harmonious relationship then out of the blue everytime i use the phone the interference makes hearing the person at the other end almost impossible.

Using a system that involved removing all components of the network and reconnecting them i find that the interference disappears when the modem's power is switched off (this is not a long term solution as i need the WIFI).

The only changes that have occurred at about the time of the commencement of this irritation was an upgrading of my internet service from ADSL to ADSL2+ and the purchase of another computer (disabling the WIFI on the new computer makes no improvement).

Could there be a setting in the modem that may have been adjusted during the resetting that could trigger such a trouble?? I have the modem RF Channel set to AUTO and have moved the 2 transceivers as far apart as possible. There is some option in the RF section of the NETGEAR that says something about RF isolation (it's not ticked) could that be anything???

Our system is Mac based (yes i have seen the light).

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

are your DECT phones the US version in 1.9GHz? WiFi uses 2.4GHz or 5.8GHz, but there can be interference if things are in close proximity.

If so, do you have about 6 ft. or more separation from the WiFi router or client PC, from the phone?

Not sure of DECT phonee

The UNIDEN phones are DECT 7015, as i live Downunder in the land of eternal sun and rain (Aussie) they are probably not the American configuration (although by necessity that is a guess).

I have searched for specs on these phones to try and identify a radio frequency that they operate on but to no avail. The documentation says nothing which is very frustrating.

The units are on opposing walls in the same room: about 3 meters apart.

Google'ing a bit, it looks like DECT 7015 is 1.8GHz.
So interference to or from WiFi, seems to me is unlikely, or may happen if the phone cradle/base station or handset is within a meter or so of something that transmits in 2.4GHz. The frequencies do differ a lot and are not harmonic multiples, so maybe it's just broadband overloading in close proximity.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!