What's new

WiFi router advice, single story home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CaptainSJC

New Around Here
I have a 3000sq ft house I am looking for a WiFi router that would work the best with no dead spots including the back yard. There’s going to be multiple mobile devices, one laptop, 3 fire sticks, also the house is one story...
2e330a3c18a053b9d7ba5e495a7ff58f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
i would put an Ac wireless router or AP on the word "cafe". The 5ghz bad should cover most of the center area and maybe out into the bedrooms. The 2.4 ghz band should cover all of the area unless there are too many partition walls or brick exterior wall. Place it on the ceiling. Get a POE model and run an Cat 5e or 6 ethernet cable from the ISP router through your attic. You will need a POE injector at the ISP router. If you are streaming a lot, you may want to connect TVs and such via ethernet cables rather than wireless to avoid bandwidth issues when multiple devices are online.

Get a four-stream (AC2600/AC3150) class router, such as the NETGEAR R7800.

Place it as centrally as possible, as degrub suggested. As he also said, it might not reach outside or all locations depending on home construction.

What about a mesh network like Google?
Think of Wi-Fi mesh/system products like a router with simplified features plus one or two extenders that can link to each other as well as back to the node connected to your broadband modem.

Both "mesh" and router / extender combinations suffer from the same limitations; signal loss between nodes.

Set up correctly, they can improve coverage. If you were to try any of them I'd recommend the original Orbi (RBK50).

To Tim’s point, if you want to look at a mesh or multi-AP solution, you might look at getting wired backhaul to key points in your house. Ideally, you’d use network cabling but both MoCA and latest-gen powerline are good alternatives as well. That fixes the performance issues created by inter-node signal loss.

If you have to stick with wireless backhaul, the Orbi wins top marks for performance from pretty much everyone. It’s got a few drawbacks compared to “pure” mesh products like eero, Plume, and many others but the biggest to me is that it can’t do both wired and wireless backhaul.

If you’ve got some networking chops and want a highly flexible and configurable solution, Ubiquiti UniFi seems to be the crowd favorite.

Funny: My recent posting from here fit's also this discussion... :rolleyes:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!