What's new

Will AMTM also support NextDNS as installable addon?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RejZoR

Regular Contributor
First of all, I apologize if I'm not understanding AMTM correctly, but will this addons feature be able to allow NextDNS to be installable like an addon and making it work correctly because stock Merlin FW and NextDNS don't really like each other very much. Or is this strictly limited to what thelonelycoder developed and it's not meant for 3rd party like NextDNS ? Or if there are some other limitations. I love ASUSWRT-Merlin, but not being able to use NextDNS on router level is really wrecking my nerves and I'm just wondering if this could be a solution. Or is NextDNS integration planned in some other way? Asking for RT-AC87U specifically...

Have you tried the NextDNS installer? If you can install amtm, you can install nextdns.

https://github.com/nextdns/nextdns/wiki/AsusWRT-Merlin

From what I understand, AMTM is suppose to be GUI driven addons installer or am I understanding this wrong? Using SSH is just so god awful clumsy I hate going anywhere near it. I've just tried it with the guide using OpenSSH Client baked into Windows and I managed to apparently install NextDNS, but it was annoying as hell and I had to use OpenSSH Client guide from somewhere else to even login correctly.

What I was asking is if AMTM is suppose to be a GUI driven addon installer/manager or something? I only read its description on Merlin's changelog page where it's a brief description. Would appreciate it much more if stuff like this could be added from within router without the need to fiddle with SSH clients. I hate CMD stuff.

From what I understand, AMTM is suppose to be GUI driven addons installer or am I understanding this wrong? Using SSH is just so god awful clumsy I hate going anywhere near it. I've just tried it with the guide using OpenSSH Client baked into Windows and I managed to apparently install NextDNS, but it was annoying as hell and I had to use OpenSSH Client guide from somewhere else to even login correctly.

What I was asking is if AMTM is suppose to be a GUI driven addon installer/manager or something? I only read its description on Merlin's changelog page where it's a brief description. Would appreciate it much more if stuff like this could be added from within router without the need to fiddle with SSH clients. I hate CMD stuff.

amtm is CLI based addon installer so you would have to use SSH regardless. I like to think of SSH as a litmus test, if you get stuck there you probably shouldn't be installing addons until you are more familiar with what exactly you are doing.

It's not like I can't do it (I just installed it), I just absolutely hate it because you need to know all the sh*t in advance where with GUI stuff is presented to you in a logical visual way and you just need to fill in the missing things like login password or install URL. Not have to type entire noodle (which to my annoyance Windows OpenSSH Client refuses to accept copy&paste commands so I had to type entire frigging ASCII password by hand and it didn't even show characters typed in, same for install URL the whole frigging noodle). I thought I left stupid commandline behind when I switched from BASIC and MS-DOS to Windows back in late 1990's... Guess not.

So, if AMTM is still CLI, what's the point? That you're just doing it straight inside router instead of connecting to it via SSH or something? So I'd have to open the router panel and type in the install command for lets say NextDNS there instead of doing it on my PC inside PowerShell connected to router through SSH? Just so I get on the same page what we're talking about here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Install Putty if you want a cleaner Windows based ssh client. I have created a shortcut on my desktop and a double click brings-up my router's command line interface (CLI). I even embed my login info in the shortcut Target so it's all automatic.
example: create a shortcut to putty.exe with the Target:
{your path to putty.exe} 192.168.1.1 -l {insert login name} -pw {insert password here}
Replace the info marked with "{...}" with your particulars.

Last edited:
First of all, I apologize if I'm not understanding AMTM correctly, but will this addons feature be able to allow NextDNS to be installable like an addon and making it work correctly because stock Merlin FW and NextDNS don't really like each other very much. Or is this strictly limited to what thelonelycoder developed and it's not meant for 3rd party like NextDNS ? Or if there are some other limitations. I love ASUSWRT-Merlin, but not being able to use NextDNS on router level is really wrecking my nerves and I'm just wondering if this could be a solution. Or is NextDNS integration planned in some other way? Asking for RT-AC87U specifically...

Hey Rejzor
(good to see someone from old TPU days)

Adamm is right about the importance of being careful when dealing with things you don't familar with, but amtm is not only awesome but also very easy to use. Think of it as a text based gui.
I'm sure you will have no problem using it, and don't be affraid to ask for help if you need any.

ui.: and use putty if you are on Windows, it's a very good client.
You can also use Winscp with the same creditentals to copy to/from the router, but then you need to take care of the permissions as well, so that might be something to learn later

Noble Regards
ika

I hate installing extra stuff for something I'm gonna use maybe 3 times a year... It's why I used OpenSSH Client in Windows after realizing it's there by default. Used WinSCP and it's probably even more clumsy than doing it through OpenSSH in Windows despite being GUI thing.

I'm fine with text based GUI's. NextDNS installer sort of has it. It asks you things and you provide them. But getting there was a bit annoying. We'll see how straight forward it'll be when it's in official FW.

Install Putty if you want a cleaner Windows based ssh client. I have created a shortcut on my desktop and a double click brings-up my router's command line interface (CLI). I even embed my login info in the shortcut Target so it's all automatic.

Insert your particulars inside the curly brackets "{ }"

Thanks for this little tip, that's saved me a couple of seconds of repetitive typing. Also I didn't need the {} in the username or password

Thanks for this little tip, that's saved me a couple of seconds of repetitive typing. Also I didn't need the {} in the username or password
Sorry, I was just using them to insert a comment. I didn't mean to imply they were part of the command. I edited to make it a little clearer.

Replace the info marked with "{...}" with your particulars.
I do not recommend writing your admin password (of anything) in plain text to anywhere. That's not a good adivce in my opinion (please note that I did not mean to offend you just my two cents)

I do not recommend writing your admin password (of anything) in plain text to anywhere. That's not a good adivce in my opinion (please note that I did not mean to offend you just my two cents)
I agree that is not a good practice in many environments. But in my home, with controlled access to my computer and no external login capability, I don't see a problem. There's nothing I've got worth the time for some highly skilled hacker. In a business environment, that's a different matter.

If you have concerns about having a clear-text password, you could just leave the "-pw " off the command line and be prompted for it each time. Still more convenient compared to the manual method through putty's GUI.

As with anything, there's a trade-off between convenience and security. We all evaluate the risks differently. With all the dozens of passwords we need in everyday modern life, and the need for them to be unique (for security), I bet I'm not the only one who keeps then written down, either on paper or in another document.

Last edited:
Reactions: a5m
I just absolutely hate it because you need to know all the sh*t in advance where with GUI stuff is presented to you in a logical visual way and you just need to fill in the missing things like login password or install URL. Not have to type entire noodle (which to my annoyance Windows OpenSSH Client refuses to accept copy&paste commands so I had to type entire frigging ASCII password by hand and it didn't even show characters typed in, same for install URL the whole frigging noodle). I thought I left stupid commandline behind when I switched from BASIC and MS-DOS to Windows back in late 1990's... Guess not.
You are offered a valuable gift, then complain about it not being gift-wrapped.

You are offered a valuable gift, then complain about it not being gift-wrapped.

Just because it's a gift it doesn't necessarily makes it valuable. Or useful. It's like receiving a nuclear bomb to tear down one wall in a house. It's valuable, but not really practical or useful. Also my question was clear and I got instructions how to install it. It took several posts where someone finally told me it's not really GUI... That was kinda my question and changelog wasn't explaining it... So you can interpret anything from it unless someone explains what it is exactly. Coz it would be something else if you'd just tick "Install NextDNS" in Merlin "Addons panel" opposed to doing it through SSH client. Don't you think?

We'll see how straight forward it'll be when it's in official FW.

NextDNS is going to be in Asus' official FW? When and where was this announced, I must have missed it.

I'm fine with text based GUI's. NextDNS installer sort of has it. It asks you things and you provide them. But getting there was a bit annoying. We'll see how straight forward it'll be when it's in official FW.
Have you actually looked at amtm? Tell me where you have to insert noodles to get amtm to do something?

I didn't ask ANY of that neither I said that (how could I when i'm asking what AMTM even is and you're implying I was saying AMTM is hard to use). I asked if AMTM is some sort of GUI driven installer for "addons" within ASUSWRT-Merlin control panels.

From official changelog:
- NEW: amtm (Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu) by thelonelycoder has
been added to the firmware. Running "amtm" over SSH will
give you a menu allowing you to select and install various
addons, such as Diversion (ad blocker) or SKynet (an
advanced firewall extension). The plugins for amtm are
still maintained by its original author (thelonelycoder).

I've missed the part where it says "over SSH" so it still requires usage of SSH. Can't any of this be made a clickable feature in ASUSWRT-Merlin MENUS so you don't have to even use SSH to access router but you'd do it from routers menus directly? That's what I was asking the whole time...

've missed the part where it says "over SSH" so it still requires usage of SSH. Can't any of this be made a clickable feature in ASUSWRT-Merlin MENUS so you don't have to even use SSH to access router but you'd do it from routers menus directly? That's what I was asking the whole time...
Then you should make yourself familiar with Asuswrt-Merlin and its limitations.

Isn't asking here sort of that exactly? Now I know that's apparently a limitation.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!