What's new

Wireguard Wireguard on RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ljg1000

Occasional Visitor
I know this should be obvious, but I am a bit confused. I have an RT-AX88U using the latest release Merlin software. I was wondering if the ASUSWRT now supports Wireguard for this model and/or when Asuswrt-Merlin may support Wireguard. My recollection is that Merlin is waiting on a finalized implementation of Wireguard in ASUSWRT. I believe it can be implemented in Asuswrt-Merlin via SSH/non-GUI. In this case I am unclear if there would br VPN Director support.

Also, I believe some ASUS routers do offer it: https://itigic.com/we-tested-wireguard-vpn-on-asus/

Your understanding is mine as well. The only support for WG is as an add-on using the CLI. And therefore, there is no support for it using the VPN Director in the GUI. That's going to require full integration of WG into the GUI. That's the downside of a side-channel installation. YOU become totally responsible for any type of integration w/ the existing system (e.g., policy based routing).

Last edited:
@ljg1000
I looked at that solution too but as @Tech9 already mentioned that this is not supported by VPN Director and it is too much hussle to get it to work.
Especially when you, like i do, need to bypass the working VPN Cliënt fo cenrtain devices.
So it means we must just wait till Merlin gets it done but I have no clue if he did set a timeframe for implementing and completing the feature.
Also I guess I am not the only one.

Keep an eye on the @Martineau Wireguard Manager thread:

From what I read earlier today, he is working on both a Web GUI and VPN Director integration.
Look towards the end of the thread.

I have an AX88U running wg_manager in a site-to-site (the remote is an AX86U) and it is running quite well with wg_manager at both ends.

For more detailed information, @ZebMcKayhan has written a very well done setup guide:

So, i read several threads and i did this:

1 installed amtm, used ir to format a 16 kingston usb 3 pendrive and reboot router
2 used amtm to install entware on the pendrive
3 used amtm to install wg_manager

This is the outcome of the installation:

1656089195083.png

then I created a peer and succesfully QR to my android BUT when I replied YES to start 'server' Peer (wg21) this error came out:

1656089578081.png

i did nothing different than using the interface options... what should i have done different or how do i fix this errors ?

Thank You.

So, i read several threads and i did this:

1 installed amtm, used ir to format a 16 kingston usb 3 pendrive and reboot router
2 used amtm to install entware on the pendrive
3 used amtm to install wg_manager

This is the outcome of the installation:

View attachment 42130
then I created a peer and succesfully QR to my android BUT when I replied YES to start 'server' Peer (wg21) this error came out:

View attachment 42131

i did nothing different than using the interface options... what should i have done different or how do i fix this errors ?

Thank You.

1. Move your post to the WireGuard Session Manager ADDon Support thread

2. Issue the following commands and post output.
Code:
wgm ?

find . -name wireguard.ko

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!