What's new

wireless client not connecting to AiMesh node with line-of-sight?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mine Ong

Regular Contributor
hi,

I have multiple AC68U flashed with the latest Merlin 386.1; All nodes are on wired backhaul and I have noticed this phenomenon both with AsusWRT and Merlin.

I have multiple wireless clients that are stationary with clear line-of-sight to AiMesh node. As an example, I have both a AiMesh node and an Amazon Echo in a guest bedroom, and the linear distance between these two are 9 feet at the most, with line-of-sight. Yet, the Amazon Echo insists on connecting to a different AiMesh node on a different floor.

If I tried to bind the Amazon Echo to the node in the same room, I would get a warning that:

"due to the current weak connection, your <device name> might lose its internet connection. Are you sure you want to proceed?"

I am just curious as to why the AiMesh node in the room would have "weaker" connection? After flashing All AC68U to Merlin 386.1, I manually set up the AiMesh network from scratch: all devices were reset/re-initialized after flashing. The only customization I did was port-forwarding and static DHCP table/IP.

any thoughts?

How many routers are in your AiMesh setup? How many SqFt is your home? How many floors? How are the walls/floors constructed/materials used?

How many routers are in your AiMesh setup? How many SqFt is your home? How many floors? How are the walls/floors constructed/materials used?

It is about 1700sqt/floor, 2 floors + basement, typical construction materials for Canadian house: basement is surrounded with concrete wall, but everything else is wood frame + dry-wall.

- 1 AiMesh router at one corner of the basement (where the VDSL cable comes in),
- one node at the other corner (NOT diagonal) of the basement,
- one node at the center of the house on the main floor (living room), and
- one node at 2nd floor (guest room), same corner as the AiMesh router.
- all nodes are on wired backhaul.

I have 2 Echo on the 2nd floor (1 of the Echo in the same room as the AiMesh node) but both of them prefer to connect to the node at the 1st floor. Similarly, I have multiple Amazon Fire TV 4K, and they don't always connect to the AiMesh node with line-of-sight.

I left all the wireless/AiMesh setting to defaults.

I am still debating between AP vs AiMesh. Before Merlin 386.1, I was using AsusWRT (RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_386_40558-gc48f410.trx). While it is much more stable than AiMesh 1 (385.20632 and earlier), I did noticed that my wireless AiMesh node would lose connection once in couple of hours, thus anything connected to/through it would lose connections as well. This was particularly evident since we are all working/study from home, and pause/disconnection of video/voice were apparent. This is for a library area where I don't have CAT6 but do have multiple computing resources.

But once I converted this wireless AiMesh node to be in the Media Bridge mode, connection is rock-solid. I do love the concept of AiMesh (central management, etc), but AP-mode + Media Bridge has not failed on me so far, at all.

Way. Too. Much. Wi-Fi. :)

For your setup, a centrally located (or not) main router would easily provide adequate coverage for the entire residence. With no wacky connection issues possible.

The three older/less powerful routers I would re-purpose them and use them for wired capable clients in Media Bridge mode if needed. Otherwise, they can be sold.

If the following suggestions don't get your current system working in the next 24 hours after you've applied them, then I suggest considering a single router (RT-AX86U or RT-AX88U) located in the central location only to serve your wireless clients (and then, only if one of your current routers can't do the job).

Update/Reset Mini Guide

Reset Mini Guide + Control Channel Setup Details

Control Channel Setup 2021

thank you. I've already reset all routers after flashing. I am experimenting with 2 routers (1 AiMesh router + 1 Node) and see if the coverage suffice. Previously I had identified some weak spots in the house.