What's new

Wireless-G Printer on Wireless-N Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bulldog

Regular Contributor
For some reason, most wireless printers currently marketed to consumers are 11g equipped, even though 11n went final long ago.

Aside from its effect on the speed of wireless transmission, are there any reasons why I wouldn't want to add an 11g printer to an 11n network? Should I wait until there's a better selection of 11n printers?

You should be fine. The printer would affect network performance only while it is printing and only if there is N traffic also active. Unless you print a lot, you'll never see a performance problem.

For some reason, most wireless printers currently marketed to consumers are 11g equipped, even though 11n went final long ago.

Aside from its effect on the speed of wireless transmission, are there any reasons why I wouldn't want to add an 11g printer to an 11n network? Should I wait until there's a better selection of 11n printers?

Like I said I run the mix mode as running two different network modes on two different AP devices seem to cause havoc than using one AP in the mix mode. Now I have Lexmark Pro 205 (color LCD screen)/ fax/(color)/copier/ADF scanner/15-in-1 reader/printer wireless no LAN port just 100% 802.11g. It does work well in both 802.11g/n mix all LAN Gig can access the 802.11g device. Very quick access. Now there are some 802.11n all-in-one from Lexmark and the others. If you only run 802.11n then you should buy 802.11n printer. Otherwise if you get 802.11g then you would need to use the mix mode.

Have you ever done any reviews of wireless printers or print servers?
Nope. Sorry.

My experience is that printers with networking built in (wireless or wired) is the way to go. When I wanted a networked printer, I bought a Brother 7820N with networking built in. It's never given me a bit of trouble.

Add-on print servers are a crapshoot and if the print servers mashed into routers and NASes work at all, consider yourself lucky.

The Lexmark Pro 205 is very huge can take up some space, performance is very good. It has real-time wireless monitor that is displayed on the LCD 2.7 in numeric with graphic bar. Setup is easy and the reason I purchased this one because it supports Windows 7 64-bit drivers. It's my primary printer, the other printers never had LAN but they use DLINK DP301-U via USB to LAN. Those work pretty good no issues.

Nope. Sorry.

My experience is that printers with networking built in (wireless or wired) is the way to go. When I wanted a networked printer, I bought a Brother 7820N with networking built in. It's never given me a bit of trouble.

Add-on print servers are a crapshoot and if the print servers mashed into routers and NASes work at all, consider yourself lucky.

Nothing wrong with some wired print servers well the DP301-U got 3 of those they work with HP all-in-one (printing side) Canon MP series (printing side) and Lexmark Laser (printing side) I have no real issues with them. Cost was cheap at the time. USB to LAN does work. I use to use HP Direct Print Server and USR one those gave issues, but not the DP301-U.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I did not realize I would need to use 'mixed 802.11n and 802.11g' mode on my router, instead of '802.11n only'.

Are there disadvantages to using the mixed mode vs. 802.11n only?

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I did not realize I would need to use 'mixed 802.11n and 802.11g' mode on my router, instead of '802.11n only'.

Are there disadvantages to using the mixed mode vs. 802.11n only?

Suppose to be slower, because G54 is introduce but N65/300 signal is present? I have yet seen that happen! Speed and signal are not effected. Just makes it easy to manage 10 nodes (devices) and save energy just to have one AP managing both bands. Printing from all devices to the all-in-one over 802.11g or 802.11n are quick. My all-in-on is set to power saver as soon as it detects a print spool event it starts feeding the paper and prints. There is a Web Admin for the all-in-one, shows ink, network, location, IP, subnet, default gateway an etc. status.

Here is a link to show you what I mean in mix mode. Lexmark Pro 205 wireless is shown
http://www.techspot.com/gallery/pc-hardware26-modding-pics/p3898-network-layout-2010-model-5.html

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!