What's new

Wireless GUI issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

disenter

Occasional Visitor
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with the wireless tab in their Asus routers?

I have 2x AC87u's, and both are frequently having issues since 380.59 firmware in that basically it's like the whole page when you click on the wireless tab, is shoved up enough that all of the tabs at the top are cut off, and the apply button won't work.

Every other tab or part of the firmware works perfectly, but I am unable to change any wifi settings when this happens.

I installed the latest 380.61 firmware in the hopes it would get rid of the problem.
Did do a full factory reset after that (did backup settings first and try to put those back, but it lost all my dhcp table and a few other settings anyway) so setup from scratch.

A soft reboot will not fix it.
powering it off completely seems to fix it most of the time.

Screens from my phone of traffic tab, and then when I click the wireless tab...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I've only cropped the address bar out :(

Any ideas what's going on?
Or anyone else had this issue?

Thanks!
D.

Last edited:
A Javascript error breaking the webui. Typically caused by a device with an invalid name (containing quotes, for example).

If you look at the error line in your web browser console, you should be able to determine what's the faulty client.

A Javascript error breaking the webui. Typically caused by a device with an invalid name (containing quotes, for example).

If you look at the error line in your web browser console, you should be able to determine what's the faulty client.
Thanks. I will try that. It's behaving itself for the moment. It was doing it from phone, PC, iPad, even my ps4. That's why I didn't think it to be a client issue.. None of my devices have odd characters in their names, save for a hyphen. But definitely will try it when it happens again.

Cheers!

It was doing it from phone, PC, iPad, even my ps4.
It can be a client that's not even connected at that exact moment if the router still has a valid lease for it.. Double check any device names you may set in the DHCP static ip assignments or the clientlist.

It can be a client that's not even connected at that exact moment if the router still has a valid lease for it.. Double check any device names you may set in the DHCP static ip assignments or the clientlist.

That's true. Leases are 24hr. Though wasn't aware of any such bug? Not to mention my devices hadn't changed for a long time.
The only special character in any device name in the dhcp list is a hyphen.
My PC did have a space. But then it has for a long time. I replaced it with a hyphen to...

Not to mention my devices hadn't changed for a long time.
I was thinking about what may be unique on the wireless page....if changing the device name doesn't help, take a look at your wireless password/key. Try removing any special characters there as well and make sure it's not longer than 63 chars. Asus has been enhancing the password checking and maybe there's a character combination there that is tripping things up.

Still an ongoing issue.... I did change my password, for a more secure 'random' type... but prior to that, when the issues started, i had been using the same password for a fairly long time, with just one special character. It never had any issues like that before...This started from 380.59.

I have installed pretty much every release since ac87u's happened..

Further, adding to it, is that when this issue happens with the gui, the wireless itself is not accessible. That is, my phone will not find the network. I keep my SSID hidden, but obviously know what it is.. Since I can't use the wireless tab when it does this, its hard to see whats happening in the background. But from the front page, it shows it as working/online with the little lit up icon.

Can it really be that a device on my dhcp list, that i've used literally since release of ac87u, and before that even is now deciding is no good?? The last new item to be added to this network, was our iphone 6's, when they were released. Nothing else has changed! Yet something is freaking out with the routers wireless gui page, and access to wifi period when that happens...

RMerlin - is there something I can do to try to log the issue? You mentioned browser console, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for there, and given access to wifi breaks when it happens, i think it may be more than just the gui?
I know I can just reboot them and it will go away, but I have them both scheduled to daily boot anyway. It seems only a hard boot will correct it.

Just to add another odd symptom. When the gui craps out, and the wifi disappears, one of the led's starts blinking erratically (lan 1 in this case). Might not seem strange, except that I keep them all stealthed at all times...
My ps4 is what's plugged into lan 1 on that router btw, and working fine online via ethernet.

If the wifi issue is specific to the 5 GHz band, then there's a good chance it's just the usual lack of reliability that's frequent with the RT-AC87U's quantenna radio.

The only way to troubleshoot webui issues is the way I mentionned. Open the web browser's console, and look for any Javascript error.

Checking it this morning, both wifi' are still running, but the main routers lan 1 light is flashing, like erratic traffic... My PC (which is off) is plugged into lan 1 of this router.
Perhaps the light is unrelated. But another oddity it has picked up since this issue started.

The only other thing I can think of that I have done differently since going from .58, to .59 (and now .61) is scheduling the wifi. We all work, no need to have it running all day.

I will try to investigate with the browser console and post back.

Appreciate the input sir!

Checking it this morning, both wifi' are still running, but the main routers lan 1 light is flashing, like erratic traffic... My PC (which is off) is plugged into lan 1 of this router.
Perhaps the light is unrelated. But another oddity it has picked up since this issue started.

The only other thing I can think of that I have done differently since going from .58, to .59 (and now .61) is scheduling the wifi. We all work, no need to have it running all day.

I will try to investigate with the browser console and post back.

Appreciate the input sir!

I suspect you have a hardware issue with the Quantenna component of your router. LAN port 1 is connected to the Quantenna chip instead of the Broadcom switch like the rest of the router.

Try doing a full power reset:

1) Turn off the router
2) Unplug the AC adapter
3) Turn it on for 5 seconds, to drain any left over electrical charge
4) Turn it back off
5) Plug AC back
6) Turn it on and let it boot

Thanks. I will try that. Strange if it is a hardware issue that they should both start suffering these issues since fw .59.
I purchased them a couple of months apart, and the second is setup as an access point only, and only uses the 5ghz wifi, 2.4 is disabled. The main only uses the 2.4ghz with the 5ghz disabled.

I cannot go back to .58 since updating to .61 can I? It would be good to rule it out...

Scratch that. Attempting to use the recovery software to force it back to .58

Will let you know how it goes.

Well. Both routers successfully returned to .58
First thing i notice, is the light issue is gone. I can stealth them and turn them back on at will.
Before, one would remain doing its own thing...
As for the wifi accessibility issue, i will have to wait and see if that rears its ugly head again.
If there is anything i can do, or tests you would like to run, im happy to help.

Working fine so far. That said, their schedule meant they restarted themselves a couple of hours ago. I'll have a better picture of their stability tonight when they get a good thrashing.

I was surprised that the recovery managed to keep all of my settings. That was one annoying thing when I went to .61, it lost my dhcp table. So, I had restored factory and setup from scratch.
That wasn't necessary using the recovery to go back to .58

Little to no issues so far on .58
The access point has once not being doing 5ghz properly (was not able to find it from my phone), using the 2.4ghz through the main router I was able to access the access point from said phone, and changing channels on its 5ghz woke it up.
Interfaces on either ac87u have not played up once.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!