What's new

Wireless Hotspot Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KarylFStein

New Around Here
I’m trying to make a wireless “hotspot” at home for visitors so I can give them some sort of login/key, (WPA2-RADIUS or SSL-directed captive portal software—haven’t gotten that far), to make it easy for them to get access to the Internet when on-site, but not internal machines. The hardware related to this is:

Netgear WNAP210 AP
Netgear GS716T Switch
Netgear FVS336G Router
Ubuntu Server

(I’m not a Netgear fanboy—it just turned out that way! I wanted dual-WAN with automated fail-over as my primary cable-based connection drops every once in a while and that’s bad for a home office so added a DSL backup along with the FVS336G, which works well there. I liked the idea of SSL VPN in the router, but that’s now handled by a WHS2011 server as SSL-VPN on the router didn’t work too well. I wanted PoE for the AP so I didn’t have to run power to place it in a central location in the house. Finally, I wanted a switch with VLAN capabilities to do something like this hotspot project. At the time of purchase, these seemed to be the best fit, but I am open to alternatives.)

The problem is I can’t get the hotspot working. Here’s what I did:

1) Set up two SSIDs on the WAP. One is WPA2-PSK tied to VLAN 1 and the other open access to VLAN 2 with the idea of RADIUS or captive portal for them in the future. (There’s a separate Dlink(!) G wireless AP with WPA2-AES for things like the Wii that don’t do N—channels appropriately spaced.)

2) Set up a VLAN interface on the Ubuntu server (eth0.2) for VLAN 2 and set up a DHCP server on that interface only to hand out addresses on a different subnet than the “internal” one.

3) Configured the router for “LAN Multi-Homing” so it’s also on the “hotspot” network.

4) Added a second VLAN to the switch and set the WAP and Ubuntu server as “tagged” on VLAN 1&2 with the router as “untagged” as it doesn’t handle VLANs.

It seems like I need to uncheck the “Unchecked VLAN” box on the WAP and it would work, but if I do that I lose access to it from the LAN and have to hard-reset it or nothing works.

Is what I’m trying to do feasible with the equipment at hand? It seems like it should, but I can’t get the “hotspot” wireless network operational…

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!