What's new

Wireless Log question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdikland

Regular Contributor
I have a RT-AC66U (AP) and a RT-N66U (main router) both running FW 3.0.0.4.374.39 and have wireless devices connected.

When I look at the Wireless log on either router I see a report somewhat different from the other. For instance,

• The RSSI value indicated in the AC66U log appears about what I would expect when I consider the distance of each device from the router. The values indicated in the N66U log however look really good. Too good when I compare them to the AC66U.
  • the AC66U displays RSSI as a negative number (i.e. -66dBm) while the N66U displays this field as a positive number (i.e. 16dBm)
  • the AC66U log does not contain a "Name" field for any of the connected devices while the N66U does (albeit, most names are missing).
  • the AC66U only displays only some of the IP addresses where the N66U displays them all

why the differences?

I have a RT-AC66U (AP) and a RT-N66U (main router) both running FW 3.0.0.4.374.39 and have wireless devices connected.

When I look at the Wireless log on either router I see a report somewhat different from the other. For instance,

• The RSSI value indicated in the AC66U log appears about what I would expect when I consider the distance of each device from the router. The values indicated in the N66U log however look really good. Too good when I compare them to the AC66U.
  • the AC66U displays RSSI as a negative number (i.e. -66dBm) while the N66U displays this field as a positive number (i.e. 16dBm)
  • the AC66U log does not contain a "Name" field for any of the connected devices while the N66U does (albeit, most names are missing).
  • the AC66U only displays only some of the IP addresses where the N66U displays them all

why the differences?

AP mode is more limited in what it can report, since it doesn't handle DHCP duties. So anything related to hostnames won't be visible on the AP.

RSSI should be a negative number. If it's not, then it's either a display bug, or a driver issue.

RSSI should be a negative number. If it's not, then it's either a display bug, or a driver issue.

I wish I had taken a screen capture of the N66U wireless report because I tell you no lies when I say that every RRSI shown in the log (even after several refreshes) was a positive number.

Just ran the report again and it made me a liar. All numbers are now negative. Should this change once again I will post a screen shot of the log :)

I wish I had taken a screen capture of the N66U wireless report because I tell you no lies when I say that every RRSI shown in the log (even after several refreshes) was a positive number.

Just ran the report again and it made me a liar. All numbers are now negative. Should this change once again I will post a screen shot of the log :)

Sometimes, the driver can bug and return bogus results until the radio gets reset. That's probably what you experienced.