What's new

Wireless N Help/Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zanai

New Around Here
Hello all I currently have one of them lovely cheap Sagem ADSL wireless router from Sky as part of their broadband package. Unfortunatly im stuck with this until i move providers as they dont give out access details so you cant just use any router you want. Problem is that router that has a wireless range of about 2 feet. Im looking at purchasing a Wireless N access point to plug into one of the network ports on the back of the Sky router and really needed some advice on the best device/setup?

Ive heard that 802.11g devices will slow down the N network so I had planned to keep the Wii and PS3 on the sky wireless router and then use my macbook on the new N access point - does this seem like a reasonable plan?

Also would there be any conflict between the sky wireless and the N wireless networks at all?

The main uses of my macbook is accessing video/audio files from my file server (currently wired into one of the 4 ports on the sky router) over the wireless network as well as playing world of warcraft i was hoping using it on the N standard would improve this.

1 final question as well is can you get wireless N cards that would plug into a minifirewire port? (i have another laptop but im using all its usb ports at present).

how good is the sky wireless router? and set the N router as access point only. I don't know if you will lose all the features from the N router because it's no longer a router.

Last edited:
Ive heard that 802.11g devices will slow down the N network so I had planned to keep the Wii and PS3 on the sky wireless router and then use my macbook on the new N access point - does this seem like a reasonable plan?
Yes

Also would there be any conflict between the sky wireless and the N wireless networks at all?
Keep the draft 11n router set to 20MHz mode. Use only Channels 1, 6, 11 and set each router to a different channel.

The main uses of my macbook is accessing video/audio files from my file server (currently wired into one of the 4 ports on the sky router) over the wireless network as well as playing world of warcraft i was hoping using it on the N standard would improve this.
Nope. Draft 11n has higher throughput, but also higher throughput variation then 11g. This will make for unhappy HD video viewing and unhappy gaming if you require fast response.

1 final question as well is can you get wireless N cards that would plug into a minifirewire port? (i have another laptop but im using all its usb ports at present).
None that I know of. Your choices are USB and CardBus. You can also use Ethernet if you use a Wireless bridge like the WET610N.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!