What's new

Wireless router advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tonyscha

New Around Here
Hello snb, First time poster here :D

I am looking to upgrade my current wireless setup and doing some research about routers, they sure seem to have changed since WRT54G days!

Router needs to cover 2 stories, 1400 sq ft.

Current setup and clients

cable modem ----- WRT54G (tomato) )))) (((( WRT54GS (dd-wrt)

WRT54G connections
Wired
  1. 1 x PS3
  2. 1 x Xbox 360
  3. 1 x PC
Wireless
  • 2 x tablets
  • 3 x smartphones
  • 1 x Wii
  • 1 x PC
  • 1 x netbook
1 x WRT54GS (client bridge, so I can use the wired ports none of the devices have wireless available)
  • 1 x voip
  • 1 x DVD Blu-Ray player + streaming (netflix/youtube)
  • 1 x Raspberry Pi

We have 2 TVs, so at most there is only 2 video steaming devices running at a time (not including smartphones/tablets).

Doing very little internal file hosting, most streaming is from the internet.

My concern is the client bridge router I have is kind of slow, I can max get 1MB/s download on it, but average is more like 250KB/s. I want to continue using this client bridge router, but hopefully increase the signal to the device will allow greater throughput.

I have been looking mostly at N routers, no need for AC at this point. I am a cheap butt though, and my upper limit is $130, but under $100 would be awesome. After using tomato on my main router, the ability to run open source firmware is almost a must, unless manufacturer firmware quality and features have increased greatly.

Would it be worth while to get two new routers to also upgrade the client bridge?

Routers I have been looking at include
ASUS RT-N66U
ASUS RT-N56U
ASUS RT-N65U
ASUS RT-N16
netgear WNDR3500L
Open to other recommendations though

Thanks

Last edited:
Netgear single band WNR3500L (v1) has less range than ASUS but it is extremely stable and reliable. It can serve as the client bridge with Tomato. For primary routers in N category, ASUS has the best range and has the most features for a stock firmware.

Out of the 4 routers you mentioned. I choose N66U as the primary and WNR3500L (either v1 or v2, but I own the v1) as client bridge. For budget minded, N56U is great as well but the 66U has more range if you need it.

IMO, I don't recommend Netgear dual band N routers (WNDR3700 and up) as they're buggy and have short lifespan.

Hi,
N16 is proven work horse also. It can run on Merlin f/w as well.

The fact you have experience with alternate router firmware makes the following solution a short hop from what you already know.

I use a dual frequency router as my main router. A 2nd dual frequency router is linked as a 5GHz client bridge to the main router. The 5GHz band acts as a tether between the two routers. This allows the 2nd router to activate the 2.4GHz radio using a unique SSID. All traffic on this radio is forced to 5GHz in order to get to the main router.

The point ... all normal wireless remains on the 2.4GHz band on the main router. The 5GHz frequency is used as a media bridge and the 2nd router is wired to a few media devices. The 2.4GHz SSID on the 2nd router is used for wireless VoIP, Chromecast, and a wireless client attached to a slingbox in another room. By being on the 2nd router, it forces a lot of secondary traffic on 2.4GHz to the lesser used 5GHz bridge. The main router is also attached using wires to a NAS box and more.

This spreads the workload among all frequencies and and minimizes congestion.

In my case, I have a Netgear R6300 V1 refurb from Amazon with DD-WRT as the main router and an Asus RTN56U with Padavan's great software on the 2nd router.

The fact you have experience with alternate router firmware makes the following solution a short hop from what you already know.

I use a dual frequency router as my main router. A 2nd dual frequency router is linked as a 5GHz client bridge to the main router. The 5GHz band acts as a tether between the two routers. This allows the 2nd router to activate the 2.4GHz radio using a unique SSID. All traffic on this radio is forced to 5GHz in order to get to the main router.

The point ... all normal wireless remains on the 2.4GHz band on the main router. The 5GHz frequency is used as a media bridge and the 2nd router is wired to a few media devices. The 2.4GHz SSID on the 2nd router is used for wireless VoIP, Chromecast, and a wireless client attached to a slingbox in another room. By being on the 2nd router, it forces a lot of secondary traffic on 2.4GHz to the lesser used 5GHz bridge. The main router is also attached using wires to a NAS box and more.

This spreads the workload among all frequencies and and minimizes congestion.

In my case, I have a Netgear R6300 V1 refurb from Amazon with DD-WRT as the main router and an Asus RTN56U with Padavan's great software on the 2nd router.

Wow! Thats a great idea on managing wireless frequencies. Only bad part is is requires two dual band routers.

I think at this point I am leaning toward something like the ASUS RT-N56U and still using my current WRT54GS as the client bridge.

Check also RT-N18U if only 802.11n is needed.

Thanks, but I do need g support.

I am not familiar with this company (TP-LINK), but whats the general conciseness of the TP-LINK archer c7 ac1750? It seems to provide decent performance and does provides AC connectivity for the future. The review seems pretty good, buy maybe not as good as ASUS. Currently less then $100 on amazon right now.

I read the review from here:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...50-wireless-dual-band-gigabit-router-reviewed

Lots of reported issues with 2.4Ghz range on the Archer C7.

It seems since many routers went to this so called 600Mbps on the 2.4GHz band the band has had nothing but trouble with many devices.

It seems since many routers went to this so called 600Mbps on the 2.4GHz band the band has had nothing but trouble with many devices.
Really? Can you provide examples that specifically tie to 256 QAM support?