What's new

Wireless router that can filter MAC access by time-of-day

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rockin Mike

New Around Here
I'm looking for a wireless router that can filter access for each client MAC by time-of-day. For example, I want Internet access for my laptop 24x7, but the kids' PCs, phones, etc. Internet access should be denied from 9PM to 6AM every day (or they'd never get any sleep...)

Is there a wireless router that can do that?

Thanks

Many can. Linksys using the Smart WiFi features have simple time of day all internet access filters. Any router that has schedulable port filtering can do what you want, too.

Also, use the Router finder, filter by Firewall > Schedules to narrow the field. Then look at product descriptions to confirm the features you want.

I'm looking for a wireless router that can filter access for each client MAC by time-of-day. For example, I want Internet access for my laptop 24x7, but the kids' PCs, phones, etc. Internet access should be denied from 9PM to 6AM every day (or they'd never get any sleep...)

Thanks

I'm doing exactly what you want to do with a WRT54g with Tomato firmware. Any router that will accept Tomato can do this.

Another method (e.g., do-able with a $35 router like the ASUS RT-N12...

Choose it to be an access point (AP), not a router. That's a standard option.
Setup its time/day schedule that shuts off WiFi.
Setup WiFi password with something unique.
Set SSID to something unique.
Config kids' WiFi devices with same password and SSID.
Change password on main WiFi router and don't tell kids.

WIth this, you don't need to mess with MAC address filtering.

Thanks

Most can - even Apple's Airport family of devices...

But generally, most do have this kind of functionality these days within their factory firmware.

I have a Linksys EA3500. From what I understand most Linksys routers (without 3rd party firmware) block by time of day using host name/IP address and not MAC.

This is a problem. I really want to find one myself that works with MAC.