What's new

WME on AC66U? Also, wireless time machine backups?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eRajesh

New Around Here
Hi guys!

I got a ASUS AC66U recently and wanted to get Wake On Lan feature to work. However, even after setting up everything on my Mac, I was not able to wake up my 2011 Mac Mini or 2012 MacBook Air.

A bit of Googling later, I come to know that the router must support Wireless Multimedia Extension (apparently open source or some open source version of Bonjour from Apple) for Wake on Lan to work.

I searched the settings of the AC66U but have been unable to find anything similar. The ASUS Merlin Firmware page for the router does not show any similar feature as well.

Wonder if anyone here has a solution for my problem?

Also, had another doubt. I am looking for wireless time machine backups of my Macs directly to the external HDD connected to my AC66U. Anyone knows if this is possible? I had no idea that ASUS would support wireless TM backups on the AC68U, else would have purchased that router. :(

Hi,
no bonjour service as far as I know on the FW, don't know if Merlin can add it.
But you can use TimeMachine on Wifi also without the TimeMachine service, I use a wifi connected NAS for backup, you need 10.9 OS and then connect to the remote disk , open timemachine and set the disk for backup, it will ask for user and password .
At this you can add TimeMachineScheduler to schedule your backup only when you are on your wifi ;)

Time Machine support is only available on the RT-AC68U (and on the RT-AC56U if running my FW - Asus will possibly add it for the RT-AC56U too at some point, depending on the licensing situation).

Time Machine support is only available on the RT-AC68U (and on the RT-AC56U if running my FW - Asus will possibly add it for the RT-AC56U too at some point, depending on the licensing situation).

Hi! Thanks for replying. Not possible to add this feature to the AC66U? :(

Also, any idea about WME? Not possible to wake up Macs over WiFi if router does not have WME support.

Hi,
no bonjour service as far as I know on the FW, don't know if Merlin can add it.
But you can use TimeMachine on Wifi also without the TimeMachine service, I use a wifi connected NAS for backup, you need 10.9 OS and then connect to the remote disk , open timemachine and set the disk for backup, it will ask for user and password .
At this you can add TimeMachineScheduler to schedule your backup only when you are on your wifi ;)

Hi!

Can you explain in detailed steps? I have a 500GB HDD connected to my AC66U with one partition dedicated for Time machine backups. When I connnect the HDD directly, Time Machine can do backups to the HDD just fine.

However, I cannot access this partition when the HDD is connected to the router. Not sure how you are backing up OTA>

Detailed steps would be awesome. Thanks!

Hi! Thanks for replying. Not possible to add this feature to the AC66U? :(

Not possible by me, no.

Also, any idea about WME? Not possible to wake up Macs over WiFi if router does not have WME support.

No idea. I don't deal with proprietary Apple stuff.

Hi Merlin!

Once again, thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.

Bonjour is not proprietary. You can read about it here. Not telling that you should implement it. Just telling that it is open source and a genius like you can implement it as well - https://developer.apple.com/bonjour/

Thanks! :)

I don't see why Bonjour should be needed for WOL. Sending a WOL packet on UDP port 9 works with any standard device. There's the WOL webui available on the router in addition to AiCloud's own WOL capability, so I don't see why the bloat of adding Bonjour should be needed just for WOL.

WMM/WME is already implemented, it's on the Wireless Professional page.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!