What's new

RT-AC66U AiCloud 2.0 not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mFeinstein

Occasional Visitor
I can't access my AiCloud Disk from WAN, but it works fine on LAN. I can access the Asus UI in WAN, to configure the router, so I know my router is exposed to the internet, but AiCloud 2.0 gets a timeout when I try to access it.

I have OpenVPN enabled, so I can access AiCloud 2.0 from the VPN when I am away from home, but I can't share links with other people, without giving them VPN access into my network.

I have also enabled Samba and FTP, and those also aren't working on LAN.

What configuration is missing from my router? I followed the tutorials and just turned AiCloud 2.0 on, so I am not sure what could be missing.

The FTP tutorial here shows an option "Enable WAN access" that's missing on my router.

Last edited:
Do you really have an RT-AC66U or the newer RT-AC66U_B1? The older model is EOL and unsupported. I wouldn't be surprised if AiCloud didn't work on it any more.

I have the old one. It would be a very bad move from Asus to release a firmware update that removes a feature that was working just fine.

There were some power problems in my neighborhood and my router reseted to factory settings, so I configured it from scratch again, all is working fine, but I can't expose FTP, Samba or AiCloud disk to the internet. The GUI is exposed. They all work fine in LAN.

I know it worked some years ago, but there was a while since I used AiCloud over the internet, so it might be removed in a firmware update and I didn't realize, I can't know for sure when it stopped working.

IIRC Cloud Disk uses FTP (port 21) and Smart Access uses HTTPS (port 443). Check whether those ports are open on your WAN IP address from the internet.

Correction (see later posts): Cloud Disk uses port 443.

Last edited:
I didn't enable smart access, just Cloud Disk.

Do you mean in the "Virtual Server / Port Forwarding" WAN settings? If so, there's no rule there. But I have tried to add a rule for FTP and the router's IP, and it didn't work. The asus tutorial says we don't need to add a port forwarding config for Cloud Disk.

I tried adding a port forwarding 20,21 -> 21 for the router's IP and it didn't work as well, the ports remain closed.

Is this the original RT-AC66U here? Wow (I've seen a lot die within a year of deployment).

After the power surge/brownout incident, did you do a full reset on the computer yourself? If it is actually not damaged (hardware), then it doesn't seem to be in a good/known state (at least, not 100% good).

I would reset the router fully, reflash the firmware it currently is using, and repeat (using different reset methods) until it works as expected.

The link above (using the method for your specific router), along with the GUI method for resetting, and also the Reset Button method is what I would be cycling through each time. And reflashing the firmware you want to use on it, in between the resets.

If the link above doesn't get your router back to a good/known state, it may be time for a new router.

Is this the original RT-AC66U here? Wow (I've seen a lot die within a year of deployment).

After the power surge/brownout incident, did you do a full reset on the computer yourself? If it is actually not damaged (hardware), then it doesn't seem to be in a good/known state (at least, not 100% good).

I would reset the router fully, reflash the firmware it currently is using, and repeat (using different reset methods) until it works as expected.

The link above (using the method for your specific router), along with the GUI method for resetting, and also the Reset Button method is what I would be cycling through each time. And reflashing the firmware you want to use on it, in between the resets.

If the link above doesn't get your router back to a good/known state, it may be time for a new router.
I have mine since 2015 I think. The power button plastic cracked to dust last month, so I soldered it always on. Besides this, it's perfectly fine ever since.

If @ColinTaylor's excellent sleuthing skills don't fix your core issue, it is not fine anymore. :)

I was thinking on opening the port in the Firewall, but the Firewall only accepts IPV6 addresses.
The firewall rules should be altered automatically.

OK I've just tried this on my router (so it may be different). So after enabling Cloud Disk go to https://www.asusnetwork.net/ or https://router.asus.com/ and you should see the AiCloud login page:

Untitled.png

From the internet you will have to use either your WAN IP address or your DDNS name.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!