What's new

Would I get an upgrade in range from a R7800 to an R9000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mark M

Occasional Visitor
I've had an R7800 for a couple of years now and love it. While I have no real complaints, there are a couple of spots in my house where I wish signal was a tad stronger 5G signal. 2.4G I have no problem with anywhere.

Realistically, do the "Active Antennas" in the R9000 make any difference?

I'd prefer not to go with a Mesh type setup as I've heard there being issues with connecting to a couple of my Smart Home devices.

I do have an EX6200 that's not hooked up, that's also another route I can go to extend the range to the spots I want.

I think the best way to extend coverage is to add more AP’s. I had the Netgear R8500 with active antennas and while it was a good consumer router it didn’t have any more range than my ASUS AC66R. I use Ubiquiti gear now with multiple AP’s and have the coverage needed. Hope this helps...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks. I think you're right. At this point I'm at the maximum amount of range per one access point.

Will probably just extend using my EX6200.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!