What's new

Wrong Firmware Date

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TikingAlien007

Occasional Visitor
I have noticed when you go to the official Asus website to download the latest firmware for a router there is something wrong with it. The stated date on the website only applies to the .ZIP file, the checksum of the .ZIP file as also checks out but when you unpack it to get the actual firmware file, it has a completely different date on it. The mentioned date on the website when I downloaded a firmware was April but the actual firmware file have January/February date on it.

I'm obviously not a developer or a programmer and don't know how the process of releasing a firmware is or how long it take to compile it but shouldn't the firmware file itself have the same date that was stated on the Asus website and not a different one that is months prior to the zip file date ? Wouldn't that be a sign of compromized or corrupted firmware ? Also, can someone explain the date difference and why that is ?

Thanks !

The date on the website is the date it was published, as automatically generated by their CMS. They may very well have re-published it a second time, without changing the actual download file.

The date on the website is the date it was published, as automatically generated by their CMS. They may very well have re-published it a second time, without changing the actual download file.
My question in this case would be, why re-publish the same firmware from January/February and mark it as April ?
Also, if changes to the firmware were made, why hasn't the firmware file indicated a time change ?
The third and last question I have is, why make the firmware in January/February then to only release it down the line a few months later instead ?

Sorry for hundreds of questions but since you are developer yourself, it would be good to find out more information about processes or how things with publishing firmware works, if you would be generous to share it here :) .

Much appreciated.

I have noticed when you go to the official Asus website to download the latest firmware for a router there is something wrong with it. The stated date on the website only applies to the .ZIP file, the checksum of the .ZIP file as also checks out but when you unpack it to get the actual firmware file, it has a completely different date on it. The mentioned date on the website when I downloaded a firmware was April but the actual firmware file have January/February date on it.

I'm obviously not a developer or a programmer and don't know how the process of releasing a firmware is or how long it take to compile it but shouldn't the firmware file itself have the same date that was stated on the Asus website and not a different one that is months prior to the zip file date ? Wouldn't that be a sign of compromized or corrupted firmware ? Also, can someone explain the date difference and why that is ?

Thanks !

Ignore file/file system dates... the date that matters is the date associated with the release of the firmware as is listed in the firmware release notes and the OEM's Configuration Management System.

Your questions are dwelling on the why there is a difference between apples and oranges. The only release date that applies for the user is the date ASUS publishes on their Support website and/or in their firmware release notes.

Dwell on the filename... it indicates the unique firmware version.

OE

Last edited:
My question in this case would be, why re-publish the same firmware from January/February and mark it as April ?
The date is automatically generated when a file is published on the website, it's not explicitly entered by the webmaster. So for example if they changed the changelog published on the website, the date automatically changes to the date the changelog was changed.

The file content and the webpage content are simply not related in any way, they are two separate things.