What's new

Firmware not updating

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dazman

Occasional Visitor
I did a factory reset on my AX86U and the firmware didn’t change.

It’s currently Merlin firmware and I also tried uploading ASUS firmware and while it does go through the whole process nothing changes.

Any other work arounds?

I did a factory reset on my AX86U and the firmware didn’t change.

It’s currently Merlin firmware and I also tried uploading ASUS firmware and while it does go through the whole process nothing changes.

Any other work arounds?

Factory reset does not update the firmware. You would then download and install the version of merlin you want to update to, and ideally factory reset again after.

Unplug any USB attached devices before attempting update, and ideally update via wired connection (though have never had an issue with wireless).

Which factory reset method did you use? Holding WPS button (hard reset) or via the gui with "initialize settings" checked? Whichever you did, if you aren't able to update after, try the other method.

Factory reset does not update the firmware. You would then download and install the version of merlin you want to update to, and ideally factory reset again after.

Unplug any USB attached devices before attempting update, and ideally update via wired connection (though have never had an issue with wireless).

Which factory reset method did you use? Holding WPS button (hard reset) or via the gui with "initialize settings" checked? Whichever you did, if you aren't able to update after, try the other method.
I’ve tried a hard reset through the GUI and using the WPS button.

I’ve updated the firmware with the laptop and it goes through the whole process, but still the firmware doesn’t show it was updated.

Make sure to do a hard factory reset the proper way if you haven't done so already.
[Wireless Router] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 2
1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power light is off.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.
Also try clearing the browser's cache or force reload the GUI web page. Then try manually flashing the firmware (via the GUI > Administration > Firmware Update page) that you downloaded for your device from either the Asus Support website or from the Asus-Merlin website. Make sure to flash the firmware from a computer directly wired to the router. Avoid using WiFi. Disconnect any attached USB drives or other nework clients from the router.

Make sure you've downloaded the correct firmware for your model. Unzip the file, then check the hash matches. Try another browser, or use your browser in I Private, or incognito mode.

I’ve tried a hard reset through the GUI and using the WPS button.

I’ve updated the firmware with the laptop and it goes through the whole process, but still the firmware doesn’t show it was updated.

It sounds like the file is uploading, however just in case, in addition to the other suggestions, disable any firewall on your PC during the update too in case it is interfering. Incognito/private as suggested also ensures that any browser addons aren't interfering.

When you do the reset through the GUI make sure you are checking off "initialize variables" or whatever it says. You can also try checking off "format jffs at next boot" if that model has it, apply, reboot, and try updating again. Not sure if that exists on that router though. The WPS reset should do that but there have been cases here of it not.

Worst comes to worst, try recovery mode and the asus firmware restore utility, but that shouldn't be needed.

Someone else here recently had their AX class router seem to go read-only on the file system. Probably not the case for you but a possibility.

Just catching up on these responses now.

I had given up and went to the ASUS site to check my warranty and of course it’s expired. I found the firmware restore utility under the downloads and it worked! It took the firmware and brought it back to life.

I appreciate all the responses and had I not found the utility “drinkingbird” you would pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks again guys!