What's new

What firmware for AI Mesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which Firmware to use for multiple node AI Mesh

• Official firmware

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Merlin firmware

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Mesh or not, RMerlin is the superior firmware, hands down. Regardless of what people who don't use Asus routers may state.

Planning to setup a multi node mesh.

Better look elsewhere. AiMesh with the limited controls available was never designed to be multiple node mesh. Omada, UniFi, Zyxel, Cisco, etc.

Called it.

Better look elsewhere. AiMesh with the limited controls available was never designed to be multiple node mesh. Omada, UniFi, Zyxel, Cisco, etc.
And to be clear, by multi node, I mean a router connected to two nodes via wired backhaul.

And to be clear, by multi node, I mean a router connected to two nodes via wired backhaul.

Oh... with 3 units only you're good. AiMesh runs better with the same model units. You can run whatever firmware you prefer, AiMesh part is the same.

What doesn’t work?

It's a consumer home system with limitations. AiMesh has no different control channel per node option, no power control per node option, doesn't track clients with dynamic AP power adjustment to encourage roaming like some controller based multi-AP systems, doesn't have user configurable VLANs (unless you get Pro model routers and wait for fixed 102* firmware, currently in beta for many models). It's not designed to scale - wireless maximum is 5 units, wired 9 and the performance (wireless) or/and roaming (wired and wireless) will be messy. You'll also have more wires (for power adapters) compared to PoE powered systems and your home routers have a limit of about 30 active clients per radio. For 3 units only it's okay (similar 3-pack home systems are readily available), but if you need more and want expandability - not your best option.

* - stock Asuswrt only, currently not available in Asuswrt-Merlin

Third option is it really does not matter since the AiMesh is closed source. Firmware is a user choice. From my perspective there is no or little performance difference between the firmwares. Yes, Merlin has more options which many will never use like running scripts on a node.
I have run both firmwares on my routers. Right now it is Asus for reasons of my needs. Will I ever go back to Merlin? Time will tell.....

Oh... with 3 units only you're good. AiMesh runs better with the same model units. You can run whatever firmware you prefer, AiMesh part is the same.

It's a consumer home system with limitations. AiMesh has no different control channel per node option, no power control per node option, doesn't track clients with dynamic AP power adjustment to encourage roaming like some controller based multi-AP systems, doesn't have user configurable VLANs (unless you get Pro model routers and wait for fixed 102* firmware, currently in beta for many models). It's not designed to scale - wireless maximum is 5 units, wired 9 and the performance (wireless) or/and roaming (wired and wireless) will be messy. You'll also have more wires (for power adapters) compared to PoE powered systems and your home routers have a limit of about 30 active clients per radio. For 3 units only it's okay (similar 3-pack home systems are readily available), but if you need more and want expandability - not your best option.

* - stock Asuswrt only, currently not available in Asuswrt-Merlin
Thanks.

My plan is to use the RT-AX88U and RT-AX86U that I already own, and buy a new RT-AX88U Pro. 3 floor home (finished basement, main level, and 2nd floor, roughly 5200 sq ft total).

I will use the 88U Pro in the basement as the Internet edge router, and connect one of the 2.5 Gb ports to the ONT, and then connect the other 2.5 Gb port as the wired backhaul to the AX86U on the main level, and connect a 1 Gb wired backhaul to the 88U on the 2nd level.

That sound doable?

That sound doable?

Doable, but I wouldn't do it this way for the following reasons:

- RT-AX88U Pro is on Asuswrt 5.0* (3.0.06.102) stock firmware
- RT-AX88U and RT-AX86U will stay on Asuswrt 4.0 (3.0.0.4.388) firmware
- Different generation routers on different firmware may create issues
- You may not be able to use the new Pro features extended to nodes

If AiMesh is the only option to discuss - I would aim for 3x identical units.

* - Current Asuswrt-Merlin is Asuswrt 4.0 based firmware and it will be downgrade to your RT-AX88U Pro running Asuswrt 5.0. You'll have to give up on all the new Pro features. Asuswrt 5.0 based Asuswrt-Merlin is not coming any time soon. Asuswrt 5.0 has to become available to all Pro routers first, currently in beta for many models.

Doable, but I wouldn't do it this way for the following reasons:

- RT-AX88U Pro is on Asuswrt 5.0* (3.0.06.102) stock firmware
- RT-AX88U and RT-AX86U will stay on Asuswrt 4.0 (3.0.0.4.388) firmware
- Different generation routers on different firmware may create issues
- You may not be able to use the new Pro features extended to nodes

If AiMesh is the only option to discuss - I would aim for 3x identical units.

* - Current Asuswrt-Merlin is Asuswrt 4.0 based firmware and it will be downgrade to your RT-AX88U Pro running Asuswrt 5.0. You'll have to give up on all the new Pro features. Asuswrt 5.0 based Asuswrt-Merlin is not coming any time soon. Asuswrt 5.0 has to become available to all Pro routers first, currently in beta for many models.
So what’s your recommendation? Don’t use the Pro and stick to 4.0 firmware, or buy 3 new Pros and use only 5.0 firmware?

I wasn’t aware of the firmware generation concerns.

True to Everything,

Though it can be as simple or complex as you want or need it to be.
AX88u router, AX86u wired both nodes, all on Merlin 386.6_2, single floor, 4,500sqft (under roof, 10,890 sqft lot includes the patio & drive way) been the same HW for a couple of years, and as much and as well as this all works, every environment is different.
Running scripts on the Router and nodes is a nice way to extend the functionality, and Merlin makes that feasible.
Another thing you'll hear is ASUSWRT on Nodes and Merlin on the router. I've done every combination of that over the years never made any performance/functional difference on the nodes.

Eventually will move up to Pro versions of the Hardware (likely 88u Pro) but on Merlin firmware (3.0.0.4 based), but with only 1GB Fiber in my neck of the woods, and meager needs, really don't need to do that for higher bandwith, and not looking to play with 3.0.0.6 level firmware anytime soon, it's still too beta, for me anyway.

Though anecdotally, I have read posts with some grief with using 2.5Gb ports for the backhaul or Modem that connects to the ONT, search around 🤷‍♂️

It took me too long to get where I am, stable having experienced firmware families 384 (and before with three AC5300's), 386 (and on with AX based HW), and now 388 and various ASUSWRT releases along the way. But always landed on Merlin Firmware.

YMWV (Your Mileage Will Vary) !

1710627055155.png
1710627403382.png

Edit, as I posted this, just updated to 3004.388.7_alpha1-g83fdb5cabf ;)

Last edited:
wasn’t aware of the firmware generation concerns.

The hardware is different generation too. Since AiMesh has very limited roaming encouraging tools - all the same radios help. Your RT-AX88U/AX86U have BCM43684 radios, the new RT-AX88U Pro will come with BCM6715 radios, new BCM4912 CPU and new 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware.

So what’s your recommendation?

At the moment - 3x new identical Pro units running stock Asuswrt 5.0 firmware. Currently this means 3x RT-AX88U Pro (the only AX-class router with 3x official releases of 3.0.0.6 firmware), but don't believe every advertisement claim. There are broken features in Asuswrt and for years. You get the hardware and wait for the firmware to be fixed. See @brummygit experience and solution here. I personally would go with completely different small business class hardware.

AX88u router, AX86u wired both nodes

This is actually another option I was going to offer @neil0311 - get another RT-AX86U cheap off eBay and call it a day.

1x RT-AX88U main + 2 x RT-AX86U nodes. This setup is good for many years. Don't overpay for >Gigabit ISP, not needed.

Wired setup? - Run whatever you want stock Asuswrt or Asuswrt-Merlin. No difference for AiMesh - it's the same, closed source.

Yeah, but given the area described in the OP I'd be inclined to start with two units.
I will probably do just that and try the 88U and 86U that I already own first.

My concern was whether or not the router in the basement and a mesh node on the 2nd floor would cover the main floor as well.

AiMesh Ideal Placement