What's new

WRT610N basic setup questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DDR4040

New Around Here
I am setting up a simple 2 client network for my Mother. The WRT610N and client #1(PC connected via ethernet) will be located on the second floor. Client #2 will be a WET610N bridge located on the first floor. A networked Sony Blu Ray player with Netflix will be connected to the bridge.

I have been using the WRT610N in my tiny apartment for the past year. Other than setting the password and configuring the WPA2, I haven't had the need to tweak any of its' settings. Now that I am moving it to a more challenging location, I want to make sure I am using all of its' dual radio/antenna features to their maximum potential.

I understand what to do with the 5 GHz wireless settings. I will set the Mode to Wireless N only, Channel Width to Auto and use WPA2 for security. My question is, what do I do with the 2.4 GHz settings? I read through some related posts here and only came away more confused. Keep in mind there will only be one wireless client on the network, the WET610N bridge. Do I just copy all of the settings from the 5GHz section or would I get better performance if I changed some of them? Should I use the same SSID for both 5 and 2.4?

Sorry if these are overly simplistic questions, but I know Netflix is notoriously finicky over wireless and I am trying to squeeze every bit of throughput I can out of the WRT610N. And since my mother lives over an hour away, I really want to get it right on the first try. TIA!

You only can use one band at a time on the WET. It has only one radio.

You can try using 2.4 or 5 and settle on whichever one provides the best results.
But if you want trouble free, figure out how to get an Ethernet cable between the
floors, even if you have to run it out the window, up the wall and back in.
You'll thank me later!