What's new

XAVB5004 Powerline Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robgold

Occasional Visitor
I am considering purchasing the Netgear XAVB5004 4-port powerline kit for use with my home theater setup, which has several devices that need reliable internet connections (PS3, Apple TV, Mac Mini, TV). While I was researching the product, I saw that the 4 ports in the back are rated different speeds (priorities?) -- one high, one medium, and two low. I don't want to sacrifice speed on any one device. Am I misunderstanding the purpose of the different ports? Or, am I better off just using a one-port Powerline and plugging that into a 4-port ethernet switch for equal bandwidth distribution to each of my devices?

I haven't read the product specs, but I'd think the four ports are merely an ethernet switch - all same speed. These things are layer 2 devices so I wouldn't think they'd have QoS to differentiate ports (no router microprocessor to do so), but I guess they could hack something.

You could choose a device with ONE etherenet port and connect that to an ethernet switch. That's what I did with my MoCA device pair ($125 or so for two). A year ago I had only D-Link and Netgear to choose from. To my amazement the D-Links are running without a glitch.

The switches I use are the cheap but works fine gigabit Ethernet switches sold by Fry's with their brand name. They work, and run cooler than the Netgear, D-Link and Linksys switches I had (all of which failed in the first 6 months due to overheating).

Last edited:
The product just incorporates a normal switch. The GUI optionally allows you to assign priority to traffic. By default, priority is the same on all ports.