What's new

XR700

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

avtella

Very Senior Member
If you go to the old Netgear firmware FTP site where they blocked views of folder contents a few years ago, if you change the folder extensions to a valid model number in the URL it takes you to the respective router folder of course firmwares or root folder structure aren’t visible since 2014. A few days ago I was typing R9500, R9800 and XR600, XR700 to check for new models and found that of those XR700 is a valid folder. Assuming it’s the next gaming router, unfortunately other than the folder validating it’s existence nothing else is known.

Last edited:
This translated page from 5/18/18 says, "On the other hand, Netgear and DumaOS will work together. Users will worry about whether this series of futures will become a firmware update orphan. The original factory said that the Pro Gaming series will be maintained in one branch, and the next generation XR700 is under planning. You can meet the market in the second half of the year."

A translation of this page from French says, "And to address an audience as particular as the players, the manufacturer has made a bet: to propose an interface that is not his. At CES in Las Vegas, we learned that DumaOS was selected to enter the Netgear range through a first product.
According to our information, this should also be the case for other references such as the XR700 to be launched in September, as well as references already proposed on the market. Thus, DumaOS could also be offered via a firmware update. We are waiting for more details on this point."

Looks like the XR700 is a R9000 rebadge. A person claiming to be a former tester posted that info in the new hardware que at DSL Reports along with OS images from what seems like a guide bearing the router's profile as proof in his/her submission.

https://imgur.com/xvFU0GZ

Last edited:
DumaOS's GUI has been changed from the XR500 quite a bit here and the GUI has 'other' rather than settings and the Geo filter looks badly drawn against the version they have now, its all broken up not a solid line. Also they have already added a zoom level that does not go anywhere near that close and adding a further zoom is not on the current path next is the hybrid VPN.

This looks more like a booklet introducing the router because why would it say welcome to your new software and how to login if this was from the routers GUI? You would have already logged in. And where is the set up screen? Also the Network overview is made of broken lines like the Geo filter and the QoS device looks very 'blocky' and badly drawn too, unlike the current version in the XR450 and XR500. What's really odd is it says contact XR500 support not 'XR700'

If it does exist I wonder if this is going to be an 802.11ax router based on DumaOS, otherwise it leaves the XR450 and XR500 in an odd place in Netgear's line up unless they are going to be EOL after less than a year. It could be a complete hoax too, as the GUI wouldn't be the same across the models with this version which I would think would be odd for continuity from Netduma tbh. I guess time will tell.

Last edited:
Makes sense to reuse the R9000, looks like an easy way to milk higher margins by simply rebadging existing units and using the DumaOS overlay, core Netgear firmware stays the same including much of NGs settings UI (recoloured) but with added Duma QoS work, Region filter, network monitor etc. Granted the Duma additions will be attractive & useful to some but I assume it’s gonna be a steep price hike for it as with anything badged gamer.

You are right that was what seems to be a guide. If it’s from beta makes sense to have a few errors as they may have reused parts of XR500 material and forgot to remove that name in that specific portion of the guide or just an honest mistake putting the name of the old model.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the X12 equivalent will eventually be the XR900.

Last edited:
Unless there are releasing DumaOS as an add on. The GUI here is unfunished and not like the XR500’s in places either. Odd considering DumaOS is already in release by quite a few months. Also why release the XR450 version and have the XR500 and then have a XR700 version. This doesn’t seem to make sense to have three gaming routers unless they are going for a high end 802.11ax gaming machine. In which case use the X12 or whatever it will be called.

I’m oddly confused as to where this router fits in tbh, especially when it doesn’t follow the look of their gaming line or match the high-end gaming switch style either. Unless the front of the unit will be reworked to match. But then adds additional cost, also there are no netgear settings shown.

Last edited:
I know about the item in question... I can't say much, it does use Duma. It is real nice and has quite a bit of power.. (I have been a tech for around 30 years now.. learned to program in basic on a Apple 2E.) I like Netgear always have. I am impressed by it.

I know about the item in question... I can't say much, it does use Duma. It is real nice and has quite a bit of power.. (I have been a tech for around 30 years now.. learned to program in basic on a Apple 2E.) I like Netgear always have. I am impressed by it.
It would have to be, considering the XR500 works well and the R9000 is £100 more expensive at this time at £329 I dread to think of the cost of a XR700 unit. Also with this head long rush to 802.11ax I wonder if its a ax unit. Since we probably wont see 802.11ax clients till Q3/4 2019 probably and current ax routers are based on a not fully ratified draft I am steering well clear. No matter ac or ax as avtella has said with a gamer tag the price could be eye waveringly expensive too.

In Sweden, the XR500 is cheaper than the R7800, maybe a good purchase as next router.

Is it true that only mesh routers support 802.11k standard?

Last edited:
Just checked the price here in the UK The R7800 in the on Amazon is £129.99 at the moment, a good buy. The XR500 is £239.99, the R9000 is £329.99 (ouch)

For people in the USA and have Costso membership, you can get the XR450 for $200. ;) Same HW. 2.4Ghz is the difference.

For people in the USA and have Costso membership, you can get the XR450 for $200. ;) Same HW. 2.4Ghz is the difference.
I saw that just slower 2.4Ghz as you say. I still can’t work out why the need for 3 DumaOS gaming routers well apart from making lots of money ;)

Yep. o_O

Not on this site.
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sv&u=https://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=4646655&prev=search

XR500 is 2,549 krona

R7800 is 2,162 krona

Also I believe Swedish people use Amazon.com and its more expensive there too. What site did you see it on? :)

40496251_1966262006769849_3577913924588142592_n.jpg

Is

Thats the R7800 NiP version, thats why. You can tell from the logo on it. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/r7800-nip-edition.32569/

The NIP R7800 version is the same as the ordinary R7800 without logo, the price was the same at this store. But i just say you can find good price for the XR500 even for 2290:-
I found my R7800 just for 1999:- when it was brand new, now it cost more.
But XR500 is still a AC2600 router with Qualcomm based Nighthaws X4S platform so, not so much new beside the FW.

Last edited:
The NIP R7800 version is the same as the ordinary R7800 without logo, the price was the same at this store. But i just say you can find good price for the XR500 even for 2290:-
I found my R7800 just for 1999:- when it was brand new, now it cost more.
But XR500 is still a AC2600 router with Qualcomm based Nighthaws X4S platform so, not so much new beside the FW.
NiP was a limited “edition” I think only available in Sweden. It has the gold logo pictured in that image, same firmware or not it costs more as it’s the NiP edition even though that is really quite meaningless. Hence it’s more expensive than the XR500. People pay more for a shiny logo :rolleyes:

In the UK now the r7800 is very cheap, compared with many other routers, and a lot cheaper than the Asus routers. Prices fluctuate so much it’s always good to grab one while the price is low. I think many Routers will drop in price as AX routers are released, there is no point in buying a 802.11ax router until there are clients for it and the final draft has been published, which I don’t think it has been at the moment.