What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adri

New Around Here
Hi, first time poster here. First, thank you to the creators of Merlin and YazFi - they work great for my needs. I have an RT-AX86U running Merlin 386.5_2 with YazFi 4.4.2, and I have 3 guest network SSIDs set up with YazFi, using 5 subnets (YazFi.conf attached). First there's spider_guest - for guests - which has full isolation and is on both 2.4GHz (.102 subnet) ad 5GHz (.103 subnet). Next is spider_home, for all my IoT devices that don't need to communicate within the network, on 2.4GHz only (.4 subnet). Last is spider_garden, which is mostly for devices I don't trust enough to put on my main wifi, but still need to communicate with each other, on both 2.4GHz (.104) and 5GHz (.105). Plus my main wifi and wired LAN (.0). I have fixed IP and hostname assignments for most of the guest network devices in dnsmasq.postconf (attached). Mostly everything works like it is supposed to.

The problem I'm having is that sometimes, some of my devices are getting the wrong IP addresses, and occasionally the wrong hostnames (see dnsmasq.leases and wireless log). It's like they are stuck with whatever IP address (and sometimes hostname) they got when they connected to the router for the very first time. Sometimes they show up on the wrong subnet, and sometimes they get a completely different IP than what I'm assigning. I can't figure out where this info is coming from. It seems like they must be cached somewhere, but I grepped the whole router and couldn't find anything. I know some of it could be because dual-band deices are connecting to the wrong radio, but that doesn't explain all of it.

If you look at the attached wireless log, bth_vanity_1 and bed_lava_lamp are both on the spider_home SSID, but have .0 subnet addresses, and the Amazon device with the MAC F1:29:B1 is connected to spider_garden, but has a spider_home (.4) address. Sometimes, the IP assignments look even crazier than that. "horus" flip-flops between the correct .15.25 address and ip .14.208, sometimes getting the hostname "bedroom_cam". The device itself has the hostname horus and is set to use DHCP, so it's not coming from the device.

Mostly I use hostnames to reach my devices, but sometimes I need to use IP address, and not having a stable one is a problem. Plus I don't know if this ends up invalidating the different levels of isolation that I'm trying to enforce (but I haven't tested that yet). This does not seem to happen with the DHCP assignments on my main network.

I have tried: removing and re-adding the wifi configuration on the devices; restarting dnsmasq, rebooting the router, re-applying YazFi settings, changing the hostnames & ip addresses I'm assigning, changing the subnets of the guest networks, and downgrading and upgrading the router firmware. I have not tried a complete factory reset, but I really don't want to do that if I can help it.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thank you!

~ Adri

Attachments

• Wireless Log.html.txt
    315.4 KB · Views: 95
  • dnsmasq.leases.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 92
  • dnsmasq.postconf.txt
    2 KB · Views: 100
  • YazFi.conf.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 111
Hi, first time poster here. First, thank you to the creators of Merlin and YazFi - they work great for my needs. I have an RT-AX86U running Merlin 386.5_2 with YazFi 4.4.2, and I have 3 guest network SSIDs set up with YazFi, using 5 subnets (YazFi.conf attached). First there's spider_guest - for guests - which has full isolation and is on both 2.4GHz (.102 subnet) ad 5GHz (.103 subnet). Next is spider_home, for all my IoT devices that don't need to communicate within the network, on 2.4GHz only (.4 subnet). Last is spider_garden, which is mostly for devices I don't trust enough to put on my main wifi, but still need to communicate with each other, on both 2.4GHz (.104) and 5GHz (.105). Plus my main wifi and wired LAN (.0). I have fixed IP and hostname assignments for most of the guest network devices in dnsmasq.postconf (attached). Mostly everything works like it is supposed to.

The problem I'm having is that sometimes, some of my devices are getting the wrong IP addresses, and occasionally the wrong hostnames (see dnsmasq.leases and wireless log). It's like they are stuck with whatever IP address (and sometimes hostname) they got when they connected to the router for the very first time. Sometimes they show up on the wrong subnet, and sometimes they get a completely different IP than what I'm assigning. I can't figure out where this info is coming from. It seems like they must be cached somewhere, but I grepped the whole router and couldn't find anything. I know some of it could be because dual-band deices are connecting to the wrong radio, but that doesn't explain all of it.

If you look at the attached wireless log, bth_vanity_1 and bed_lava_lamp are both on the spider_home SSID, but have .0 subnet addresses, and the Amazon device with the MAC F1:29:B1 is connected to spider_garden, but has a spider_home (.4) address. Sometimes, the IP assignments look even crazier than that. "horus" flip-flops between the correct .15.25 address and ip .14.208, sometimes getting the hostname "bedroom_cam". The device itself has the hostname horus and is set to use DHCP, so it's not coming from the device.

Mostly I use hostnames to reach my devices, but sometimes I need to use IP address, and not having a stable one is a problem. Plus I don't know if this ends up invalidating the different levels of isolation that I'm trying to enforce (but I haven't tested that yet). This does not seem to happen with the DHCP assignments on my main network.

I have tried: removing and re-adding the wifi configuration on the devices; restarting dnsmasq, rebooting the router, re-applying YazFi settings, changing the hostnames & ip addresses I'm assigning, changing the subnets of the guest networks, and downgrading and upgrading the router firmware. I have not tried a complete factory reset, but I really don't want to do that if I can help it.

Thank you!

~ Adri
what is the content of /jffs/addons/YazFi.d/.dnsmasq

Thank you!

~ Adri

also in one of your txt files you are missing a comma

Code:
dhcp-host=xx:xx:xx:C1:CA:37,192.168.14.27peepingtam
should be

Code:
dhcp-host=xx:xx:xx:C1:CA:37,192.168.14.27,peepingtam

what is the content of /jffs/addons/YazFi.d/.dnsmasq
attached.

I did notice that missing comma and fixed it, but still no love.

I also just realized a problem with my setup, which is that on spider_garden, the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz subnets can't talk to each other. Not to get too off topic, but any suggestions on getting around that, apart from enabling 2-way to host?

Attachments

• YazFiddnsmasq.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 103
attached.

I did notice that missing comma and fixed it, but still no love.

I also just realized a problem with my setup, which is that on spider_garden, the 2.4GHz and 5Ghz subnets can't talk to each other. Not to get too off topic, but any suggestions on getting around that, apart from enabling 2-way to host?
You would need to incorporate iptables. If you look at yazfi github there are some directions for such scenarios, but the 2.4 ghz and the 5ghz, despite you having the same name for the guest network, are two distinctly different guest networks. This is the design of yazfi. To allow devices to communicate between subnets, there are some directions on the YazFi github.

The specific issues you described with wrong IP addresses sometimes being displayed in the "System Log -> Wireless Log" and in the "Guest Network -> YazFi" GUI panels were previously reported in these threads here & here.

I proposed a fix for the "Wireless Log" GUI panel issue, and it was implemented in the latest Asuswrt-Merlin F/W 386.5_2 version. Unfortunately, the same bug in another part of the source code that affected the Guest Wireless Network clients is not fixed in that release (see here), but I expect the next F/W version will have the complete fix for this particular issue (I just saw that @RMerlin has already made the changes in the Master branch).

Hopefully, @Jack Yaz will include the equivalent fix in the next release of YazFi as well.

Thank you for the info @Martinski . I didn't look at my dnsmasq.leases closely enough. I did not realize it was just a display bug. Thank you for contributing the fix, though!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!